Associate - Medical Life Sciences
New York, NY, USA ● Uniondale, NY, USA
Thursday, August 25, 2022
Founded in 1856, Harris Beach and its subsidiaries provide a full range of legal and professional services for clients across New York state, as well as nationally and internationally. Harris Beach is among the country’s top law firms as ranked by The National Law Journal. Clients include Fortune 100 corporations, privately-held companies, emerging businesses, public sector entities, not-for-profit organizations and individuals. Principal industries Harris Beach represents include education, energy, financial, food and beverage, health care, insurance, manufacturing, medical and life sciences, real estate developers, and state and local governments and authorities. The firm’s more than 200 lawyers practice among offices throughout New York state in Albany, Buffalo, Ithaca, New York City, Rochester, Saratoga Springs, Syracuse, Uniondale and White Plains, as well as in New Haven, Connecticut and Newark, New Jersey.
Location: New York City preferred; or Uniondale, NY
Description: This associate will support the Medical and Life Sciences team in the defense of physicians, hospitals and health centers in medical malpractice cases, and product liability defense of manufacturers of prescription, over-the-counter and/or consumer-use FDA regulated products, pending in New York state and federal courts.
- Taking and defending depositions;
- Research various legal, medical and scientific issues and collaborate with senior attorneys about strategies;
- Draft memoranda, briefs, significant and complex motions including motions for summary judgment, pleadings, discovery;
- Draft reports to clients, including deposition reports, medical record analyses, case analysis reports, budgets;
- Coordinate with and work-up expert witnesses;
- Participate in trial, mediation and ADR planning and preparation;
- Represent clients at courtroom appearances, including oral argument of motions and discovery conferences.
- 4+ years of first chair deposition, and courtroom experience in medical malpractice and/or product liability matters required;
- Must be admitted in New York; New Jersey a plus;
- Must have familiarity and experience with NY Courts;
- Excellent research, writing and verbal communication skills required;
- Must be innovative and able to function effectively in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment;
- Ability to work independently and manage competing deadlines in a timely manner;
- Exhibits conscientiousness, dedication, self-discipline, and a sense of responsibility;
- Must have a professional, cooperative, positive and flexible attitude;
- Ability to work with diverse personalities within various levels of the organization;
- Must exhibit well-developed interpersonal and client relation skills;
- Military experience welcome.
The firm’s policy prohibiting unlawful discrimination applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, placement, assignment of duties, training, promotion, compensation & benefits and termination. It is the policy of Harris Beach PLLC that all applicants and employees enjoy a positive, respectful and productive work environment, free from behavior, actions or language constituting unlawful harassment. Accordingly, harassment or discrimination of any kind based on an individual’s race or color, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, military status, genetic predisposition, carrier status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, creed, domestic violence victim status or any other legally protected status is strictly prohibited. Harris Beach complies with the provisions of the Human Rights Law, all other State and Federal statutory and constitutional non-discrimination provisions including non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.