What We Need
The Corpay Cross-Border legal team at FLEETCOR is currently looking to hire a Paralegal based out of the Toronto, Ontario office. In this role, you will provide support to in-house lawyers at a foreign exchange and global payments business company. You will report directly to General Counsel and regularly collaborate with the Cross-Border legal team and the larger FLEETCOR legal group.
You will join a legal team that provides support to a global business with operations and customers in Australia, Canada, the European Union, Singapore, United Kingdom and United States.
How We Work
As a Paralegal you will be expected to work in hybrid (work from home and office attendance) environment and we will set you up for success by providing:
• Reserved workspace in Toronto office
• Company-issued equipment and remote access
• Hands-on training
The responsibilities of the role will include:
• Daily review of the team work schedule and action
• Resolving routine legal issues under the direction of a lawyer
• Work with the regulatory team to ensure required corporate and other filings maintained
• Maintaining corporate minute books, including preparation of draft resolutions and minutes and maintaining officer & director lists as well as other corporate needs
• Being responsible for Legal Department billing, including preparing various reports for budgeting and tracking of expenses
• Protecting the integrity of highly confidential information; acting as liaison between department staff and associates; handling and properly directing all legal requests; screening and independently resolving inquiries/issues on behalf of the Legal Department
• Creating first drafts of legal agreements, where appropriate.
• Reviewing customer requests, corporate information to support compliance requests, drafting amendments (changes to T&Cs, account linking)
• Creating and responding to correspondence and emails; maintaining individual and department calendars; providing proofreading and similar clerical functions for members of the Legal Department, including drafting of certain correspondence; receiving and reviewing daily mail; and gathering and compiling information from various company personnel for inclusion in reports required to be prepared by the Company or the Legal Department and preparation of initial drafts of such reports for review and revision by others
• Performing additional duties as assigned from time to time by a member of the legal department which may from time to time include serving as back-up support for others in the Legal Department
• Adhering to record retention policy and procedures and following an organized filing document management process for electronic and paper documents; assisting in the creation and improvement of the Legal Department’s policies and procedures which will improve the efficiency of the department
Qualifications & Skills
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred
• up to 3 years of prior experience in a law firm or in-house counsel office; corporate paralegal experience preferred
• Paralegal registration, in good standing, with Law Society of Ontario
• Professional, cooperative team player with initiative, a proven self-starter
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Proficiency in using Microsoft Office suite of software programs
• Additional language skills will be considered an asset
• Background in financial services will be considered an asset
About the Company:
FLEETCOR Technologies, Inc. (“FLEETCOR”) is a leading global provider of business payment solutions. We help companies of all sizes control, simplify and secure payment of various domestic and cross-border payables using specialized payment products. We serve businesses, partners, merchants, consumers and payment networks in North America, Latin America, Europe, and Asia Pacific.
- $2.4B Annual Revenue
- 600,000 Directly Served Business Clients
- 2.6B+ Transactions per Year
- 8,400+ Employees
(as of December 31, 2020)
Our payment solutions provide our customers with a payment method designed to be superior to and more robust and effective than what they use currently, whether they use a competitor’s product or another alternative method such as cash or check. We group our payment solutions into five primary categories: Fuel, Lodging, Tolls, Corporate Payments and Gift. Each category is unique in its focus, customer base and target markets, but they also share a number of characteristics: customers are primarily businesses, have recurring revenue models, have specialized networks which create barriers to entry, have high margins, and have similar selling systems.
FLEETCOR enjoys global recognition including:
- Forbes Global Growth Champion – FLEETCOR is one of the 250 fastest growing companies in the world as determined by Forbes and Statista
- Forbes World’s Most Innovative Companies – FLEETCOR has made this prestigious list of leading innovative companies 4 years in a row!
- Fortune 1000 Company – FLEETCOR was one of the largest movers in the new rankings of the largest companies in America, ranking #872
- S&P 500 – In 2018, FLEETCOR joined the S&P stock index comprised of the 500 leading US stocks based on market cap (company value)
Despite many advances in our industry, the majority of business payments are still made with outdated and inferior payment methods, such as checks and cash. We envision a business world where every purchase is controlled, every payment is digital, and every payment-related decision is well-informed. In this future paperless state, payments will require little to no time to manage, leaving companies with more time for what matters most: activities that grow their businesses.
FLEETCOR’s mission is to provide businesses with a better way to pay, by replacing outdated payment methods such as checks and cash, and displacing the incumbent providers of those methods. Through the digitalization of payments, we create and support robust ecosystems which benefit all participating constituents: payment-making customers, payment-accepting merchants, tax-collecting governments, and FLEETCOR.
FLEETCOR is a growth company, and we employ a simple three-prong strategy for growing our business:
- More Customers. We invest more than $200 million per year in sales and marketing, predominately focused on new customer acquisition. We continue to scale existing sales channels and headcount, enable our sales people with demand generation and other tools, and launch new distribution channels both internally and through partners such as ERP software providers, telematics companies, and banks. We will also grow our customer base inorganically through acquisitions.
- More Spend. We seek to leverage our existing customer relationships and capture greater share of their business payment expenditures. As such, we have developed various “beyond” initiatives, where we extend the utility of an existing payment product without degrading the core value proposition of the original product. As such, a customer can “buy more stuff” without sacrificing the controls and reporting which attracted the customer to our product to begin with. For example:
- Our Fuel card customers can enable their cards to allow non-fuel purchases relevant to their business, like allowing a painting crew to buy supplies at a home improvement store, so they can finish the paint job.
- Our Toll tag customers can use their in-vehicle RFID tags to make other “on the go” purchases like parking, fuel and fast-food.
For our customers, these product extensions reduce payment friction, saving them time and operational headaches. For FLEETCOR, these product extensions can increase our share of wallet with existing customers and can increase our products’ appeal and applicability to previously-unserved customer segments (e.g., non-toll urban dwellers). We also create new product offerings, developed internally or in conjunction with partners, to cross-sell to our existing customer base.
- More Geographies. We continue to seek attractive entry opportunities in major international markets, which we intend to pursue through acquisitions and partnerships.
Together we can foster true belonging. We know different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds lead to better innovation and results. We are therefore committed to building and nurturing a culture of diversity, inclusion, and belonging by:
- Welcoming people of different backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, genders, and sexual orientations;
- Empowering our people to share their experiences and ideas through open forums and individual conversations; and
- Valuing each person’s unique perspectives and individual contributions.
Embracing diversity enables our people to “make the difference” at FLEETCOR.
FLEETCOR’s culture reflects our history of fast growth and our continued drive for results. Our entrepreneurial spirit remains strong across our global workforce, and we reinforce these principles in our five core values:
- Innovation: Figure out a better way
- Execution: Get it done quickly
- Integrity: Do the right thing
- People: We make the difference
- Collaboration: Accomplish more together
These values guide all of our employees and are infused in all aspects of our Company. We are, as a team, united through these shared values and our mission to provide “a better way to pay.”
Our values foster an inclusive culture through the expectation that all employees will treat each other with respect and appreciate the diversity of identities, thoughts, backgrounds and styles. Our commitment to fostering an inclusive culture has never been more essential than in this moment of national reflection. We must always celebrate the diversity of our company and our communities.
We strongly believe that the quality and diversity of our workforce provide FLEETCOR with a competitive advantage, and that our problem-solving and solution-building efforts are greatly enhanced when we harness the collective thinking of a diverse group of people with unique experiences and perspectives.
FLEETCOR’s COVID-19 Hiring Guidelines:
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are temporarily working from home. In addition, FLEETCOR implemented a virtual interviewing and hiring process, engaging with talent by phone or video and onboarding new employees remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we’re all in this together.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer:
FLEETCOR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. FLEETCOR provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, gender (including pregnancy), religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, language, ancestry, genetic information, veteran and/or military status or any other group status protected by federal or local law. If you require reasonable accommodation for the application and/or interview process, please notify a representative of the Human Resources Department.
- Job Family Legal
- Pay Type Salary
- Toronto, ON, Canada