Manager, Geotechnical Engineering
At Stewart, we put great emphasis on serving and leading our employees, clients, communities, and professions. We believe that every employee has an impact on our company and our community. What we do is significant and legacy building. Our work is not only about footings, beams, and columns, or roads and bridges, or surveys and inspections, or parks or community planning. We are strengthening our communities through the building of hospitals, office buildings, schools, housing, places of worship, roads to mobilize people, parks and greenways to enjoy the beauty of nature, and thoughtful community plans that delineate the future growth. We love to see how our employees’ contributions enhance our communities.
Position Highlights / About the Role:
Our geotechnical staff is immersed in an exciting, fast-paced working environment that allows a good balance of field and office work. We are involved in many exciting projects across the state that often present unique engineering/geologic challenges and enable us to grow professionally every day. If you are interested in joining the fun and professional geotechnical team at Stewart, and you consider yourself a strong leader, please apply today!
- As manager of the group, you will be responsible for the growth, management, and profitability of the geotechnical engineering service line.
- An important aspect to job is developing business and cultivating new clients. This will require getting out and getting involved in the community, professional organizations, and industry events.
- The first step to winning work is preparing thorough, responsive proposals. You will lead proposal efforts and prepare work scopes and project budgets.
- Happy clients are repeat clients, so you’ll foster healthy client relationships.
- With assistance from the Practice Leader, you will create service line budgets and prepare strategies to grow an economically successful/profitable group.
- In this position you will manage geotechnical projects covering various sectors of the market. As a senior engineer, you will be expected to manage and/or assist with complex projects and clients.
- Tell the story. All of our hard work is for naught if we don’t present it all in an orderly, concise manner - hence the importance of our reports and other deliverables. In this position you will prepare reports, which includes data entry/digitizing geotechnical logs, preparing maps and illustrations, creating narratives, etc. You will also be responsible for reviewing reports and other deliverable prepared by your staff.
- You will lead quality control initiative to reduce risk and to ensure quality deliverables.
- You’ll help mentor and develop younger staff to enable them to grow professionally and personally.
- What’s unique about a geotechnical position at Stewart? Hands down, it’s our in-house inter-disciplinary coordination and collaboration with other bright, talented, and passionate people. Here you will have the opportunity to sit at the table with the industries best structural and civil engineer, planners, landscape architects, surveyors, bridge and roadway designers, and BIM/CAD specialist.
- You will often be expected to observe, inspect, and/or test the work stemming from our geotechnical report recommendations. There’s no better way to learn than to see your recommendations put into motion.
- The position requires some local travel, with infrequent overnight stays (~5%-10%). So you have the opportunity to visit lots of cool, many times remote, places of the beautiful State of North Carolina.
Qualifications / What You Need To Win:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering required
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering with Geotechnical concentration preferred
- 10 years or greater of progressive geotechnical engineering experience required. 15 years preferred.
- Candidate must hold an active Professional Engineers (PE) license in the State of practice
- Experience working with geotechnical engineering software such as gINT, LPILE, APILE, GSTABL (or similar) required
- Experience with drafting software (AutoCAD or MicroStation) required
- Experience working on NCDOT bridge and roadway projects required.
Stewart’s Geotechnical & Construction Services (GCS) practice area allows its member to be involved in fun and exciting projects from early conceptual design through the completion of construction. Whether walking a new greenway alignment, drilling for a new high-rise building, monitoring grading operations, testing concrete in our laboratory, or inspection steel framing, you will be fully engaged and making significant contributions to the projects on which you work, as well as to the communities. Furthermore, through collaboration with Stewart’s other practice area professionals, you will have the opportunity to broaden you knowledge of the industry and enhance your technical skills in a way that is unmatched by our competitors.
- Pay Type Salary
- Stewart - Fort Mill Geotech/CMT Lab, 377 Rubin Center Drive, Fort Mill, South Carolina, United States of America