IN-HOUSE LEGAL COUNSEL
ABOUT KAMPGROUNDS OF AMERICA, INC.
Kampgrounds of America, Inc. (KOA) is the world’s largest network of privately owned campgrounds and the leader in outdoor hospitality. KOA has 525+ locations across the United States and Canada including a mix of franchised and company-owned parks. KOA has approximately 90 employees at its corporate headquarters in Billings, Montana, and 1200+ across its location. Founded in 1962, the mission of KOA is “connecting people to the outdoors and each other,” and those who represent the brand share the values of being family-oriented, passionate, entrepreneurial, customer-focused and progressive.
Chief Financial Officer
The In-House Legal Counsel shall strive to ensure that Kampgrounds of America, Inc. (“KOA”) maintains legal compliance and manages risk and safety in its operations as a corporation as well as its OAK and Terramor properties. The Legal Counsel shall oversee and ensure KOA’s defense in claims against it. This position shall act in KOA’s best interest in all legal or transactional capacities, and professionally manage relationships with vendors, franchisees, outside legal professionals, insurance companies and their representatives, and KOA staff.
- Outside Attorneys – work with and manage use of outside attorneys who specialize in real estate transactions, liquor licensing, franchising, IP, data protection, cyber-security, litigation, etc.
- Contracts – support the drafting, review and legal analysis of contracts and agreements as needed.
- Governance – general corporate administration to ensure legal compliance with all state filings (ie: annual reports and foreign registrations).
- Organization of Legal Documents – maintain corporate legal files.
- Liquor Licensing – facilitate liquor licensing and obtain and maintain appropriate DBAs.
- Acquisitions/Disposition – support aspects of real estate transactions including due diligence, document preparation, closing mechanics, and post-closing integration as needed.
- Franchisee Services – support actions undertaken to enforce brand standards, de-identification, and other matters affecting the governance of franchise relationships.
- Safety Committee – contribute as a participant and assist with scheduling, determining agenda items, and tracking meeting minutes.
- Intellectual Property (Trademarks) – direct all legal procedures related to obtaining and preserving KOA’s trademarks and other intellectual property.
- Marketing – support KOA’s granting of licenses, legal conduct of marketing sweepstakes, and introduction of marketing programs such as the “Get Out There Grant”.
- Registered Agent Services – monitor CT Corporation emails, usually containing service of process for KOA, take necessary steps to notify appropriate parties if defense is needed or other appropriate action.
- Litigation and Claims – report litigated matters and other claims against KOA to appropriate parties and provide oversight and support during pre-suit, litigation and mediation. Manage the process from service to discovery and filing of pleadings, motions and briefs to settlement or trial, as well as insurance-related claims procedures. Communicate and assist with multiple defense counsel for liability claims for all OAK properties, as well as process those claims brought against franchisees and KOA to facilitate the dismissal of KOA or tender of KOA’s defense.
- Insurance Support – work with KOA team and outside agent(s) concerning KOA’s liability insurance/captive, EPL policy, and Marsh including policy review and communicating regularly with adjusters, attend annual Columbus Risk Control Workshop
- Special Projects – assist with any legal situations that arise in the company, such as drafting collection letters for past due royalties from franchisees, liquidated damages from former franchisees, etc.
- Franchise Disclosure Document (FDD) – assist with review of annual revisions to the FDD for both the U.S. and Canada.
- Outside Legal Invoices – track and submit for payment all legal invoices (excluding those relating to acquisitions).
- Practicing attorney with 5+ years of legal work, preferably at a law firm.
- Experience managing communications between multiple levels and facets of an organization. Strong interpersonal skills. Comfortable in prioritizing conflicting needs and able to handle matters expeditiously and proactively. Must be a self-starter, solution-minded and able to complete a high volume of tasks with little or no guidance.
- Highly responsive across multiple channels including email, phone, Slack, text, etc. and able to react with appropriate levels of urgency to situations that require quick response or turnaround.
- Affinity for technology and not intimidated by learning new systems. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point), Adobe Acrobat, Google Docs, and social media platforms.
- The ideal candidate will at all times be professional and trustworthy and will always exercise good judgment. Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Previous experience managing staff and working in teams.
Kampgrounds Of America, INC. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strives to provide an environment where all employees and applicants are treated with respect. The company is committed to fair treatment of all persons. This value ensures employees and candidates are treated equally, and are protected from discrimination or harassment of any kind. This includes discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Account
- Paid Life Insurance
- Paid Long Term Disability
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Short-Term Disability
- Voluntary Critical Illness Insurance
- Voluntary Accident Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Healthy Employee Living Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401K Retirement Plan
- 401K Company Contributions
- Profit Share
- Pay Type Salary
- 550 N 31st St, Billings, MT 59101, USA