Membership Fitness Coordinator
GROUP FITNESS COORDINATOR
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively influences the lives of children in your community. Working at the YMCA you’ll discover more than a job – you will have the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the community.
WHY WORK FOR THE Y
The Y is a dynamic and diverse human service organization committed to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. The Y is a team effort, right down to our members. The care and concern we show for our members is our success gauge. In order to maintain our success, we must recruit and hire the best employees in the area. The Y commits itself to doing so by providing our employees competitive wages, benefits and opportunities for advancement through our training programs and internal promotions.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
Under the supervision of the Regional Fitness Director the Group Fitness Coordinator will assist in all aspects of the Group and Water Fitness programs to include hiring and supervision of Group Fitness Instructors, and scheduling group fitness classes to meet the needs and demands of the membership. This position will be responsible for leading and coaching their staff team in the delivery of an outstanding member experience. This position’s time is split between instructing, training, and administrative work.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the YMCA’s policies.
- Responsibilities include assisting in interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Support the mission, vision and goals of the YMCA.
- Promote a professional work environment through character development by modeling the values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Lead in a manner that advances our cause to strengthen the foundations of community through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
- Assist in supervising, training and scheduling of group exercise staff.
- Oversee the implementation of the daily operations of the Group Exercise program.
- Work with the Regional Fitness Director to execute MOSSA Launches when new releases are made.
- Responsible for updating and maintaining the communication between staff and leadership.
- Assist in planning and conducting staff meetings. Attend all staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Act as a leader in emergency situations. Report any accidents or incidents according to Emergency Action Plan. Ensure all members, guests, and program participants are in a safe environment and actively follow branch Emergency Action Plan).
- Will play an active role in the center annual giving campaign. This includes recruiting volunteers, securing pledges, and helping with events.
- Assist in organizing, planning, promoting and scheduling Group Exercise events and special programs.
- Maintain knowledge of current trends and developments in the field of health, fitness and wellness programming.
- Maintain group and water exercise attendance records. Communicate with the Regional Fitness Director regarding any trends.
- Carry out other related duties as deemed necessary by the Fitness Department and Family Center operations to ensure an excellent member experience.
- Teach a specified number of classes per week, as agreed upon with the Regional Fitness Director.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in related field; YMCA experience preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years’ supervisory experience.
- Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) or American Council on Exercise (ACE) certification required. American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) or a YMCA certification preferred.
- Nationally recognized group exercise certifications required
- Certification of CPR/First Aid/AED/O2.
- Complete and maintain required trainings to include but not limited to: New Employee Orientation, Bloodborne Pathogens, Child Abuse Prevention (CAP), and Sexual Harassment upon hire and annually thereafter.
- Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check.
- Communication and Influence
- Developing Self and Others
- Engaging Community
- Requires a person of maturity and good judgment, who can independently manage defined territory
- Requires ability to exercise appropriate independent judgment, to assess facts and issues, and make non-routine decisions regarding day-to-day operational problems and issues
- Requires effective team-building and team leadership skills
- Must maintain cooperative, functional relationships with senior leadership team, peers, and subordinates
- Must maintain positive, energetic attitude toward YMCA work, goals, and values
- Performs the duties of direct reports as needed
- Walk, stand, kneel, and stoop
- Maintain continuous operations requiring attention to detail and multi-tasking
- Must be able to lift, pull and move up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand or sit for long periods of time
- Must be physically able to successfully complete required certifications
An offer of employment is contingent upon receipt of satisfactory results to meet minimum requirements of the position. They may include criminal background and reference checks, E-Verify, drug test, driver’s license record, and/or a Child Protective Services Check (CPS). Additional driver’s license check, CPS, criminal background check, alcohol, and/or drug testing may be required to be processed in the future in order to meet and/or maintain the requirements of this position.
INTERNAL APPLICANTS - Currently active employees of the YMCA of South Hampton Roads should apply through Careers on the Employee Dayforce Account. Submit an online application, resume, and references.
The YMCA of SouthHampton Roads is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at YSHR will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. YSHR does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or genetics.
Please Note: Requirements, skills, and abilities described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essentialfunctions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements be interpreted as all-inclusive.
- Job Family Health, Wellness, Sports
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $13.00
- Northampton County Family YMCA, 1 Parson's Circle, Cape Charles, Virginia, United States of America