NORTHAMPTON FAMILY YMCA
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively influences the lives of children in your community. Working at the YMCA you’ll discover more than a job – you will have the opportunity to make a lasting difference in the community.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
Under the direction of the Youth Development Director and in harmony with the Christian nature and purpose of the established policies and goals of the YMCA, the Bus Driver is responsible for driving a YMCA bus to transport members and/or program participants. The Bus Drivers primary responsibility is for the safety of the children on the bus.
- Maintains a current Virginia or North Carolina Commercial Driver’s License, with Passenger or School Bus Endorsement and Medical Examination Certificate
- Completes all pre-employment trainings before first day on floor. These include: Onboarding, Child Abuse Prevention training, Child Development training, licensing training, and behavior management training
- Insures the safety of all passengers while entering and exiting the bus and while crossing driveways or parking lots
- Drives safely and observe all traffic rules, signs and courtesies
- Ensures passenger attendance is taken during the loading and unloading process
- Completes log sheets and safety checklists daily, i.e. Penske pre-trip inspections, mileage logs for each transport
- Cleans vehicle after each use – pick up trash, papers, sweep, etc.
- Locks all doors and windows after each use
- Reports all repairs and/or needed maintenance to the supervisor
- Conducts a visual sweep of the bus before and after each transport; walks to the end of the bus and checks that all passengers have exited the vehicle
- Disengages the bus alarm at the end of the transport, which sounds when the bus engine is turned off
- Reports any moving violations you receive to your supervisor; including violations received while operating a YMCA bus and/or violations you may receive on your personal time
- In the event of an accident, notifies the supervisor immediately and contacts local authorities to obtain an accident report; does not leave the scene without an exchange of information
- Upholds the association’s child protection policies, child abuse and neglect guidelines, and proper reporting procedures at all times
- Uses positive guidance techniques on the bus; understands that if behavior becomes negative the best way to handle it is by pulling the bus over to the side of the road and then taking care of the behavior
- Maintains ongoing communication with supervisor
- Demonstrates appropriate decision-making abilities
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of YMCA mission, values, purpose, and goals; performs all other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Adheres to all Virginia Department of Social Services Division of Licensing standards; familiarizes self with all evacuation and emergency procedures for the bus
- Follows the Code of Conduct established by the YMCA of South Hampton Roads
- Attends mandatory staff meetings and trainings to meet Social Service requirement of 16 hours per year
The Bus Driver must understand and be capable of the necessary skills required for the successful completion of duties including:
- Minimum 21 years or older
- CPR/First Aid certification (or ability to certify within 60 days of employment)
- Clear OneSource Criminal Record, CRC, and C.P.S. check. Negative TB test
- Must possess a current Virginia or North Carolina Commercial Driver’s license with a Passenger or School Bus Endorsement
- Current Medical Examination Certificate
- Must meet the YMCAs insurance carrier’s eligibility requirements
- Must have a driving record transcript on file at the Corporate Office and approved by the YMCAs Corporate Office Risk Manager
- Able to communicate and work effectively with groups of children
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- May be required to walk, stand, run, kneel, climb and stoop
- Must be able to sit on the floor and get back up
- Continuous operations requiring attention to detail and multi-tasking
- Must be able to lift, pull and pull up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand or sit for long periods of time
- Must be physically able to successfully complete required certifications
Accountable for completion of assigned goals as measured by the number of people served and service satisfaction scores.
An offer of employment is contingent upon receipt of satisfactory results to meet minimum requirements of the position. They may include criminal background and reference checks, E-Verify, drug test, driver’s license record, and/or a Child Protective Services Check (CPS). Additional driver’s license check, CPS, criminal background check, alcohol, and/or drug testing may be required to be processed in the future in order to meet and/or maintain the requirements of this position.
The YMCA of SouthHampton Roads is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at YSHR will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. YSHR does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or genetics.
Please Note: Requirements, skills, and abilities described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essentialfunctions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements be interpreted as all-inclusive.
- Job Family Bus Driver
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $15.00
- Northampton County Family YMCA, 1 Parson's Circle, Cape Charles, Virginia, United States of America