Camp Tahigwa - Day Camp Senior Counselor
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is looking for talented individuals with a passion for the YMCA mission and cause, an understanding of YMCA programs and services, and whose everyday priorities are a reflection of the core YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Founded in 1852, YMCA Buffalo Niagara is the second-oldest YMCA in the United States and one of the oldest institutions in Western New York. As a charitable, community-based organization committed to providing programs designed to build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all, YMCA Buffalo Niagara serves the Western New York community with six membership branches, two overnight camps, and over 50 program locations. No one is turned away due to an inability to pay - each year, more than 2,800 children and families benefit from our annual campaign, which provides over $1.4 million in financial aid to those who wish to participate in YMCA programs such as child care, summer camp, or membership.
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion.
YMCA Camp Tahigwa is an outdoor adventure camp with opportunities for kids of all ages to master new skills. Activities include canoeing, swimming, hiking, gag pit games, and arts and crafts. Transportation to and from Camp Tahigwa is available to employees.
The Senior Counselor provides leadership and guidance to campers. Plans and implements camp activities and ensures the safety of campers. This is a summer seasonal position.
Camp employees are scheduled to work Monday – Friday, up to 40 hours per week. Must be available to work between the hours of 7:00 am and 6:00 pm.
Complimentary YMCA Buffalo Niagara Family MasterKey Membership, discounted program fees, paid sick leave, training and leadership development opportunities, and an outstanding work environment.
- Plans and implements camp activities as per the program design.
- Supervises the assigned group of campers and provides direction to junior counselors.
- Identifies and resolves problems. Implements appropriate discipline techniques and procedures.
- Pursues innovative and creative ways to implement camp components.
- Ensures effective communication between staff and parents of campers.
- Develops and maintains positive, open communication between campers and camp staff.
- Maintains and enforces work rules and regulations as required by YMCA Buffalo Niagara, the NYS Department of Health, and other regulatory agencies.
- Maintains attendance records and performs other administrative tasks.
- Participates with campers in the pool during swim lessons and free swim.
- Attends staff meetings, training sessions, overnights, and field trips as scheduled.
- Implements ongoing safety checks to assure a healthy and safe camp environment. Implements emergency procedures when necessary.
- Remains with the assigned group at all times and keeps constant, visual track of all assigned campers unless relieved by a qualified person.
- Sets up and organizes equipment and supplies for camp activities.
- Follows and enforces department protocol to clean and disinfect commonly used surfaces. Enforces PPE compliance.
- Maintains the cleanliness and organization of program/work areas.
- Completes additional duties as assigned.
- Must have at least one (1) year experience as a Junior Counselor or other equivalent position.
- Must be able to successfully plan and lead activities for children in a camp environment.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or a high school graduate.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $13.50
- Job Start Date Monday, July 25, 2022