Camp Kenan - Day Camp Director
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is looking for talented individuals with a passion for the YMCA mission and cause, an understanding of YMCA programs and services, and whose everyday priorities are a reflection of the core YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Founded in 1852, YMCA Buffalo Niagara is the second-oldest YMCA in the United States and one of the oldest institutions in Western New York. As a charitable, community-based organization committed to providing programs designed to build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all, YMCA Buffalo Niagara serves the Western New York community with six membership branches, two overnight camps, and over 50 program locations. No one is turned away due to an inability to pay - each year, more than 2,800 children and families benefit from our annual campaign, which provides over $1.4 million in financial aid to those who wish to participate in YMCA programs such as child care, summer camp, or membership.
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion.
The Day Camp Director is responsible for the successful operation of the summer day camp program. Plans, organizes, and implements activities, provides direction, supervision, and support to day camp staff, performs administrative tasks, and ensures the safety of campers. This is a summer seasonal position.
Camp employees are scheduled to work Monday – Friday, up to 40 hours per week. Must be available to work between the hours of 7:00 am and 6:00 pm.
Complimentary YMCA Buffalo Niagara Family MasterKey Membership, discounted program fees, paid sick leave, training and leadership development opportunities, and a fun work environment.
- Plans and implements camp activities as per the program design.
- Trains, supervises, directs, and evaluates program staff. Participates in the selection process to identify the best camp staff. Manages the staff schedule to ensure staff-to-child ratios are met.
- Provides daily oversight and leadership of camp operations. Identifies and solves problems, implements appropriate discipline techniques, and enforces policies and procedures.
- Plans and facilitates components of the pre-camp staff training program.
- Ensures effective communication between staff and parents of campers.
- Develops and maintains positive, open communication between campers and camp staff.
- Implements and maintains work rules and regulations as required by YMCA Buffalo Niagara, the NYS Department of Health and other regulatory agencies.
- Pursues new and innovative program initiatives.
- Provides for and organizes equipment and supplies for camp activities.
- Maintains the cleanliness and organization of program/work areas.
- Participates with campers when needed, including in the pool during swim lessons and free swim.
- Oversees and performs administrative functions including attendance, camper development, program planning, and evaluation.
- Schedules, plans, and carries out regular staff meetings.
- Implements ongoing safety checks to assure a healthy and safe camp environment. Implements emergency procedures when necessary.
- Completes additional duties as assigned.
- Must have knowledge of and previous work experience in camping, group work, recreation and related fields.
- Experience in program administration and staff supervision.
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Have and maintain community CPR certification. (American Red Cross, ASHI, American Heart Association)
- Responding to Emergencies or Advanced First Aid certification is preferred and may required before the start of camp programs. (American Red Cross, ASHI, American Heart Association)
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $15.00
- Job Start Date Wednesday, June 1, 2022