Resident Camp - Head Cook
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is looking for talented individuals with a passion for the YMCA mission and cause, an understanding of YMCA programs and services, and whose everyday priorities are a reflection of the core YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Founded in 1852, YMCA Buffalo Niagara is the second-oldest YMCA in the United States and one of the oldest institutions in Western New York. As a charitable, community-based organization committed to providing programs designed to build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all, YMCA Buffalo Niagara serves the Western New York community with six membership branches, two overnight camps, and over 50 program locations. No one is turned away due to an inability to pay - each year, more than 2,800 children and families benefit from our annual campaign, which provides over $1.4 million in financial aid to those who wish to participate in YMCA programs such as child care, summer camp, or membership.
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion.
The Y operates overnight camp programs at Camp Weona (Gainesville, NY) and at Camp Kenan (Barker, NY). The Head Cook oversees the safe and sanitary operation of the camp kitchen, plans and implements a healthy camp menu, providing food service for camp residents, and guidance and leadership to staff and campers. This is a summer seasonal position.
This is a residential position where food and lodging are provided during hours of work. The work week follows the camper session which begins each Sunday and ends on Saturday with a 24 hour break in-between. Dates of employment include a week of training starting June 19, 2022, 5 weeks of program at Camp Weona, and an additional 4 weeks of program at Camp Kenan, concluding on August 27, 2022.
Complimentary YMCA Buffalo Niagara Family MasterKey Membership, discounted program fees, paid sick leave, training and leadership development opportunities, and an outstanding work environment.
- Plans and implements the menu and food preparation plan. Prepares meals as per the schedule.
- Provides excellent customer service to all groups, campers, and staff.
- Maintains a clean kitchen, including the cooler, freezer, and storeroom.
- Places orders and maintains the inventory of all food and food related supplies within the assigned expense budget.
- Follows and enforces department protocol to clean and disinfect commonly used surfaces. Ensures PPE compliance.
- Trains and supervises all food service staff.
- Notifies sales representatives and the program director of food shortages, spoilage, or damage in deliveries.
- Ensures that all food service staff maintain cleanliness standards. Sends staff to the health director immediately if presenting symptoms of illness.
- Maintains a clean and neat appearance while on duty.
- Understands and implements NYS Department of Health and ACA standards.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have considerable work experience as a cook, preferably in a supervisory role.
- Must have valid Servsafe certification.
- Have the desire and the ability to work around children in a fast-paced recreational environment.
- Abe to read, write, understand, and communicate directions.
- Able to respond to emergency situations.
- Understanding of NYS Department of Health regulations related to food service.
- Have good judgement with the ability to identify problems and find acceptable solutions.
- Job Start Date Monday, July 11, 2022