Resident Camp - Junior Counselor
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is looking for talented individuals with a passion for the YMCA mission and cause, an understanding of YMCA programs and services, and whose everyday priorities are a reflection of the core YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Founded in 1852, YMCA Buffalo Niagara is the second-oldest YMCA in the United States and one of the oldest institutions in Western New York. As a charitable, community-based organization committed to providing programs designed to build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all, YMCA Buffalo Niagara serves the Western New York community with six membership branches, two overnight camps, and over 50 program locations. No one is turned away due to an inability to pay - each year, more than 2,800 children and families benefit from our annual campaign, which provides over $1.4 million in financial aid to those who wish to participate in YMCA programs such as child care, summer camp, or membership.
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion.
The Y operates overnight camp programs at Camp Weona (Gainesville, NY) and at Camp Kenan (Barker, NY). The Junior Counselor assists in the leadership and guidance of campers, planning and implementing activities, and ensuring the safety of campers. This is a summer seasonal position.
This is a residential position where food and lodging are provided during hours of work. The work week follows the camper session which begins each Sunday and ends on Saturday with a 24 hour break in-between. Dates of employment include a week of training starting June 19, 2022, 5 weeks of program at Camp Weona, and an additional 4 weeks of program at Camp Kenan, concluding on August 27, 2022.
Complimentary YMCA Buffalo Niagara Family MasterKey Membership, discounted program fees, paid sick leave, training and leadership development opportunities, and an outstanding work environment.
- Provides guidance to camper group to successfully participate in all camp activities.
- Ensures the health and safety of campers. Carries out established health and safety plans.
- Follows and enforces department protocol to clean and disinfect commonly used surfaces. Ensures PPE compliance.
- Maintains the cleanliness and organization of program/work areas.
- Helps to develop activities for camper group for cabin free choice, inclement weather, and devotional activities.
- Assists with the supervision of assigned aspects of the campers’ day, which may include reveille, cabin clean-up, meal times, rest hour, evening activities, and getting ready for bed.
- Follows and implements all emergency procedures such as fire drills and emergency evacuation.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with campers, ensuring an outstanding camp experience.
- Identify and resolve problems. Implements appropriate discipline techniques and procedures. Report difficult problems to supervisor.
- Follows and enforces all camp rules and regulations.
- Participates with campers in the pool during swim lessons and free swim.
- Attends staff meetings and training sessions as scheduled.
- Implements ongoing safety checks to assure a healthy and safe camp environment. Implements emergency procedures when necessary.
- Communicates effectively with parents of campers.
- Remains with assigned groups at all times and keep constant, visual track of all assigned campers unless relieved by qualified staff person.
- Completes additional duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- Desire and ability to work with children in an outdoor setting.
- Demonstrate the YMCA core values of caring, responsibility, honesty, and respect.
- Able to successfully lead activities for children in a camp environment.
- Job Start Date Sunday, June 19, 2022