Resident Camp - Specialist
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is looking for talented individuals with a passion for the YMCA mission and cause, an understanding of YMCA programs and services, and whose everyday priorities are a reflection of the core YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Founded in 1852, YMCA Buffalo Niagara is the second-oldest YMCA in the United States and one of the oldest institutions in Western New York. As a charitable, community-based organization committed to providing programs designed to build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all, YMCA Buffalo Niagara serves the Western New York community with six membership branches, two overnight camps, and over 50 program locations. No one is turned away due to an inability to pay - each year, more than 2,800 children and families benefit from our annual campaign, which provides over $1.4 million in financial aid to those who wish to participate in YMCA programs such as child care, summer camp, or membership.
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion.
The Y operates overnight camp programs at Camp Weona (Gainesville, NY) and at Camp Kenan (Barker, NY). The specialist will plan and implement a specialized program activity within the camp program. Areas of specialty may include Archery, Art, High/Low Ropes, Rock Wall Climbing, Sports, and STEM. This is a summer seasonal position.
This is a residential position where food and lodging are provided during hours of work. The work week follows the camper session which begins each Sunday and ends on Saturday with a 24 hour break in-between. Dates of employment include a week of training starting June 19, 2022, 5 weeks of program at Camp Weona, and an additional 4 weeks of program at Camp Kenan, concluding on August 27, 2022.
Complimentary YMCA Buffalo Niagara Family MasterKey Membership, discounted program fees, paid sick leave, training and leadership development opportunities, and an outstanding work environment.
- Develops a daily schedule of activities relating to the specialty program allowing for flexibility and progression.
- Provides supervisor with weekly program plans, materials list and objectives to be accomplished.
- Assists in camp training to demonstrate program activities in relation to camp themes.
- Ensures effective communication with staff and parents of campers.
- Develops and maintains positive, open communication between campers and camp staff.
- Responsible for the setup and breakdown of specialty area, and for the maintenance and control of supplies and equipment.
- Submits a complete report at the end of summer that consists of: inventory of equipment, program narrative, staff evaluation and future recommendations for improvement.
- Attends staff meetings, training sessions, overnights, and field trips as scheduled.
- Maintains the work rules and regulations as stated by YMCA Buffalo Niagara and the NYS Health Department.
- Ensures PPE compliance.
- Maintains the cleanliness and organization of program/work areas.
- Implements emergency procedures when necessary.
- Completes additional duties as assigned.
- Must have one or more years of experience in camping, group work, recreation or a related field.
- Must have experience and meet all the necessary qualifications/certifications related to the specialty program as required by YMCA Buffalo Niagara and regulatory agencies.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or a high school graduate.
- Job Start Date Monday, July 11, 2022