YMCA Buffalo Niagara is looking for talented individuals with a passion for the YMCA mission and cause, an understanding of YMCA programs and services, and whose everyday priorities are a reflection of the core YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
Founded in 1852, YMCA Buffalo Niagara is the second-oldest YMCA in the United States and one of the oldest institutions in Western New York. As a charitable, community-based organization committed to providing programs designed to build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all, YMCA Buffalo Niagara serves the Western New York community with six membership branches, two overnight camps, and over 50 program locations. No one is turned away due to an inability to pay - each year, more than 2,800 children and families benefit from our annual campaign, which provides over $1.4 million in financial aid to those who wish to participate in YMCA programs such as child care, summer camp, or membership.
YMCA Buffalo Niagara is an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and practicing inclusion.
The Lifeguard/Swim Instructor is responsible for the safety and supervision of swimmers at the Lockport Family YMCA. Delivers swim lessons to participants. This is a part-time position.
GENERAL WORK SCHEDULE:
The incumbent will work up to 25 hours per week. Must be available to work early mornings or midday. Availability to work some evenings is preferred. Availability to work weekends is required.
Complimentary YMCA Buffalo Niagara Family MasterKey Membership, discounted program fees, and an outstanding work environment. Employees are immediately eligible to enroll and contribute to the Y Retirement Fund’s 403B plan and will receive a 12% employer paid Y Retirement contribution after eligibility requirements are met.
Other benefits include paid sick leave leadership development opportunities, training, and career advancement.
- Enforces all pool safety rules, implements pool emergency procedures, aids swimmers when necessary.
- Completes incident reports and treats injuries.
- Instructs participants in swim classes, implements the YMCA of the USA and YMCA Buffalo Niagara swim instruction program. Responsible to meet or exceed swim program enrollment targets.
- Is alert, friendly and responsive to swimmers, parents, and co-workers.
- Records pool temperature, pool chemical qualities, documentation of swim lesson skill achievement, and attendance.
- Ensures proper usage of pool equipment, i.e., lane lines, emergency equipment, etc.
- Follows department protocol to clean and disinfect commonly used surfaces. Maintains the cleanliness and organization of program/work areas.
- Maintains all required certifications, attends all staff training sessions to practice skills and learn program standards.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 17 years old.
- American Red Cross or YMCA Lifeguard certification.
- American Red Cross, American Heart Association or American Safety & Health Institution certification in: Professional Rescuer or Lifeguard CPR/AED, First Aid, Oxygen Administration.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $14.50
- Job Start Date Monday, August 15, 2022