Administrative Assistant I / HR Assistant
Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-GNY) is an anti-poverty organization that seeks to end homelessness in the New York metropolitan area by the year 2050. We focus our continuum of care to address the most prevalent causes of homelessness: (1) lack of affordable housing; (2) unmet health needs, including but not limited to mental health and substance use; and (3) lack of jobs that create wealth. In each of these areas we strive to incorporate strategies that address issues of racial equity. We know that our clients are confronting longstanding barriers to accessing quality housing, healthcare, and employment. Our programs are designed to ensure that our clients do not have to face these challenges alone.
Now in our second century of serving those in need, VOA-GNY understands what it takes to heal families and individuals who are in crisis and have experienced trauma. We operate and provide services in emergency shelters, transitional housing, and permanent supportive housing for close to 11,000 men, women and children through 65 programs located in New York City, Northern New Jersey, and Westchester annually. We are one of the largest providers of services to families and individuals experiencing homelessness in the Greater New York area, serving survivors of domestic violence, people living with HIV/AIDS, veterans, and others who have behavioral health or substance use needs. Many of VOA-Greater New York’s programs are nationally recognized and meet the rigorous standards of accrediting bodies CARF, COA and the NAEYC.
"Successful applicants must be vaccinated for COVID-19 before their start date with VOA-GNY, unless you have been approved by VOA-GNY for a medical or religious exception to this requirement."
The Human Resources Assistant is responsible for human resources activities related to improving workforce productivity, quality and enhancing overall organizational effectiveness. The Human Resource Assistant is also responsible for the completion of assigned administrative and Human Resource related tasks, which may include any of the following functioning areas; employee relations, recruitment, benefits, training and HRIS.
Bachelor’s degree plus two years relevant HR experience, or an associate’s degree and three years relevant HR experience or satisfactory combination of education and experience. Must have excellent interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills, possess strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and adhere to deadlines. The ability to maintain confidentiality is essential. Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel required.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
The below enumerated principal responsibilities are inclusive of both program specific and firm-wide related administration, as applicable.
- Assists in monitoring the performance appraisal process and organizational training and development efforts.
- Participates in recruitment efforts for exempt and nonexempt personnel (excluding managerial levels and above); helps by coordinating job postings on the website, collecting resumes, and performing reference checks.
- Maintain and review the sector’s time and attendance system and coordinate with the payroll department to ensure accurate and timely payroll.
- Establish personnel files and keeps employee records up-to-date by processing employee status changes in timely fashion. Maintains personnel files in compliance with applicable legal requirements.
- Prepares paperwork required to place employees on payroll; and for separated employees.
- Administer FMLA Request and Workers Comp Claims including recordkeeping.
- Maintains human resource information system records and compiles reports from the database as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Expected Results of Principal Responsibilities:
- Employees are appropriately trained and well skilled.
- NNJ is staffed with qualified employees and maintains a low vacancy rate.
- Payroll is accurate and benefit programs are communicated effectively
- NNJ is in compliance with human resources policies as well as external regulations
- Office functions are efficient and operate smoothly. Correspondence is handled correctly, efficiently, and is routed to the appropriate person in a timely manner.
- LOA are administered promptly, discreetly and accurately.
- Reports, correspondence and forms are completed accurately and sent to the appropriate internal or external entities in a timely manner.
- All other related tasks are completed on time and accurately.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee will be in an office environment performing administrative work.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to have visual acuity, talk and hear while communicating with peers and/or vendors. This position is sedentary and requires sitting for long period of times. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items up to 20 pounds.
This is a full-time position.
- Job Family Administrative Assistant
- Job Function Human Resources
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required No
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Rahway, NJ 07065, USA