Cook- Adult Shelter (Various Shifts)
Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-GNY) is an anti-poverty organization that seeks to end homelessness in the New York metropolitan area by the year 2050. We focus our continuum of care to address the most prevalent causes of homelessness: (1) lack of affordable housing; (2) unmet health needs, including but not limited to mental health and substance use; and (3) lack of jobs that create wealth. In each of these areas we strive to incorporate strategies that address issues of racial equity. We know that our clients are confronting longstanding barriers to accessing quality housing, healthcare, and employment. Our programs are designed to ensure that our clients do not have to face these challenges alone.
Now in our second century of serving those in need, VOA-GNY understands what it takes to heal families and individuals who are in crisis and have experienced trauma. We operate and provide services in emergency shelters, transitional housing, and permanent supportive housing for close to 11,000 men, women and children through 65 programs located in New York City, Northern New Jersey, and Westchester annually. We are one of the largest providers of services to families and individuals experiencing homelessness in the Greater New York area, serving survivors of domestic violence, people living with HIV/AIDS, veterans, and others who have behavioral health or substance use needs. Many of VOA-Greater New York’s programs are nationally recognized and meet the rigorous standards of accrediting bodies CARF, COA and the NAEYC.
"Successful applicants must be vaccinated for COVID-19 before their start date with VOA-GNY, unless you have been approved by VOA-GNY for a medical or religious exception to this requirement."
The Cook is responsible for the planning and preparation of meals for the client population. Assists the food service manager in the overall operation of food services where applicable.
High School diploma or GED. Six months experience in menu planning and preparation of bulk quantities of food. Position requires a food handler certificate within six months of employment.
1. Prepare bulk quantities of food, maintain portion control and arrange food in an appetizing manner.
2. Assist in the planning of menus.
3. Assist in maintaining sanitary conditions and compliance with applicable health department rules and regulations including certificates for food handlers.
4. Assist in the inventory of foodstuffs, utensils and supplies.
5. Confirm that food delivery invoices are accurate.
6. Supervise and train clients in food preparation in applicable programs.7. Perform other related duties as required.
- Job Family Cooks and Stewards
- Pay Type Hourly
- 25 Operations Dr, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
- Valhalla, NY, USA