Food Service Worker - Adult Shelter (Various Shifts) Near Westchester Medical Center
Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-GNY) is an anti-poverty organization that seeks to end homelessness in the New York metropolitan area by the year 2050. We focus our continuum of care to address the most prevalent causes of homelessness: (1) lack of affordable housing; (2) unmet health needs, including but not limited to mental health and substance use; and (3) lack of jobs that create wealth. In each of these areas we strive to incorporate strategies that address issues of racial equity. We know that our clients are confronting longstanding barriers to accessing quality housing, healthcare, and employment. Our programs are designed to ensure that our clients do not have to face these challenges alone.
Now in our second century of serving those in need, VOA-GNY understands what it takes to heal families and individuals who are in crisis and have experienced trauma. We operate and provide services in emergency shelters, transitional housing, and permanent supportive housing for close to 11,000 men, women and children through 65 programs located in New York City, Northern New Jersey, and Westchester annually. We are one of the largest providers of services to families and individuals experiencing homelessness in the Greater New York area, serving survivors of domestic violence, people living with HIV/AIDS, veterans, and others who have behavioral health or substance use needs. Many of VOA-Greater New York’s programs are nationally recognized and meet the rigorous standards of accrediting bodies CARF, COA and the NAEYC.
"Successful applicants must be vaccinated for COVID-19 before their start date with VOA-GNY, unless you have been approved by VOA-GNY for a medical or religious exception to this requirement."
The steward assists in the overall operation of the dining room and kitchen areas of the facility. May supervise VIP clients.
High school diploma and six months relevant experience.
1. Receive, store and issue foodstuffs, equipment and supplies.
2. Reconcile food deliveries and supplies against delivery invoices.
3. Assist in the inventory process and recommend elimination of excess stock.
4. Prepare inventory, spoilage, and damage reports.
5. Assist in maintaining sanitary conditions and compliance with applicable health department rules and regulations including certificates for food handlers.
6. Supervise VIP clients as required.
7. Perform other related duties as required.
EFFECT ON END RESULTS
1. Kitchen supplies are well maintained and orderly.
2. Purchases are accurate.
3. Only needed items are stocked and reordered, and supplies are rotated.
4. Required reports are produced on a timely basis.
5. Food services area is clean and well maintained.
6. VIP clients receive appropriate supervision.
7. Related duties are performed completely, accurately and on time.
- Job Family Cooks and Stewards
- Pay Type Hourly
- Grasslands Homeless Shelter, 25 Operations Drive, Valhalla, New York, United States of America
- Valhalla, NY, USA