Administrative Assistant I (ONS361)
Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-GNY) is an anti-poverty organization that seeks to end homelessness in the New York metropolitan area by the year 2050. We focus our continuum of care to address the most prevalent causes of homelessness: (1) lack of affordable housing; (2) unmet health needs, including but not limited to mental health and substance use; and (3) lack of jobs that create wealth. In each of these areas we strive to incorporate strategies that address issues of racial equity. We know that our clients are confronting longstanding barriers to accessing quality housing, healthcare, and employment. Our programs are designed to ensure that our clients do not have to face these challenges alone.
Now in our second century of serving those in need, VOA-GNY understands what it takes to heal families and individuals who are in crisis and have experienced trauma. We operate and provide services in emergency shelters, transitional housing, and permanent supportive housing for close to 11,000 men, women and children through 65 programs located in New York City, Northern New Jersey, and Westchester annually. We are one of the largest providers of services to families and individuals experiencing homelessness in the Greater New York area, serving survivors of domestic violence, people living with HIV/AIDS, veterans, and others who have behavioral health or substance use needs. Many of VOA-Greater New York’s programs are nationally recognized and meet the rigorous standards of accrediting bodies CARF, COA and the NAEYC.
"Successful applicants must be vaccinated for COVID-19 before their start date with VOA-GNY, unless you have been approved by VOA-GNY for a medical or religious exception to this requirement."
Position: Administrative Assistant I (ONS361)
The Administrative Assistant I is responsible for the completion of assigned office and administrative tasks. Maintains confidentiality of client, employee and financial information.
60 college credits plus two years experience in a related field or a satisfactory combination of education and experience. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, business writing skills, the ability to work well with others, and prioritize and take initiative. Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel required.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
The below enumerated principal responsibilities are inclusive of both program specific and firm-wide related administration, as applicable.
- Manage the management of day to day office functions, equipment maintenance, and janitorial activities.
- Coordinate paper and electronic documentation, including receiving, routing and filing of invoices, reports, correspondences, contracts and forms.
- Prepare reports, correspondences, purchase orders and forms and ensure timely and accurate reporting within the program and to outside entities.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
Expected Results of Principal Responsibilities:
- Office functions are efficient and operate smoothly.
- Correspondence is handled correctly, efficiently, and is routed to the appropriate person in a timely manner.
- Reports, correspondence and forms are completed accurately and sent to the appropriate internal or external entities in a timely manner.
- All other related tasks are completed on time and accurately.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee will be in an office and residential shelter environment performing administrative work.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to have visual acuity, talk and hear while communicating with peers and/or vendors. This position is sedentary and requires sitting for long period of times. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items up to 20 pounds.
This is a full – time position.
- Job Family Administrative Assistant
- Job Function Program Services
- Pay Type Hourly
- Job Start Date Thursday, May 19, 2022
- East 119th Street SRO, 22 E 119th St, New York, New York, United States of America
- New York, NY, USA