Truck Driver (Part-Time), Tallahassee, FL Family Store
The Salvation Army, an internationally recognized non-profit, faith-based organization, has a job opening for a Truck Driver for the Family Store located in Tallahassee, Florida. This is a Part-Time position, working approximately 29 hours per week.
Drives Salvation Army truck along scheduled route to pick-up donations and/or deliver merchandise to customers; operates the truck in compliance with established Salvation Army standards and state driving regulations; lifts, carries, loads and unloads variety of donations including furniture, appliances, clothing, etc.; ensures the safety, security, and accountability of the vehicle and donations at all times; assists in performing work in the thrift store and warehouse.
- Confers regularly with the Donations Scheduler to maintain awareness of scheduled pick-ups of donations in accordance with the established policy.
- Reviews scheduled pick-ups to ensure they are scheduled for the correct day of the week and geographical location.
- Organizes scheduled pick-ups by most direct routes to save time and fuel consumption.
- Assists Truck Helper in lifting and stacking donations in the truck.
- Prepares donation receipts for customers; ensures the accuracy and completeness of the same.
- Maintains good relationship with donors to promote a favorable image of The Salvation Army.
- Assists Truck Helper in unloading the truck at the warehouse/store.
- Delivers appliances and/or furniture as requested by customers.
- Drives to the dump and appropriate recycling centers to dispose of non-useable donations.
- Ensures the truck meets the scheduled maintenance and performs operators maintenance in accordance with established standards.
- Drives carefully and observes/complies with all traffic signs and road/weather conditions to ensure the safety of passengers.
- Parks vehicle in a safe and clearly marked parking space.
- Locks vehicle doors when vehicle is not in use.
- Fuels vehicle in accordance with state gasoline regulations and The Salvation Army standards.
- Logs all mileage on standard forms; ensures the accuracy and completeness of the same.
- Arrives at destination according to schedule or telephones ahead when severe delays occur.
- Assists in loading the bail truck.
- Assists in cleaning and maintaining the warehouse and loading dock area.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the assigned geographical area.
- Knowledge of DOT regulations.
- Ability to organize pick-up tickets and to schedule route in a manner that saves time and gasoline consumption.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with co-workers.
- Ability to maintain driving ability, DOT certifications, and Salvation Army insurance qualifications.
- Ability to meet attendance requirements.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate the English language.
- Ability to read and follow a map and/or hand-written directions.
Materials & Equipment Used
Salvation Army Truck Hand Truck
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or G.E.D. preferred but not required, and one year experience driving a heavy-duty truck or large van, or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Licenses and Certifications
Valid State Driver's License with CDL endorsement, if required.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Ability to perform strenuous, heavy work involving the lifting and carrying of heavy objects up to 50 lbs regularly and greater than 50 lbs occasionally.
- Ability to perform continuous walking, stooping, standing, and some climbing.
- Ability to drive a heavy-duty truck.
- Work requires driving a vehicle daily with exposure to the outdoors where there are physical discomforts associated with changes in weather such as rain, cold, snow, heat or discomforts associated with noise, dust, dirt, and the like.
All employees recognize that The Salvation Army is a church and agree that they will do nothing as an employee of The Salvation Army to undermine its religious mission.
To apply, please select the “Apply Now” icon at the bottom of this posting.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
- Job Family FL-NON-EXEMPT
- Job Function Store
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $12.00
- Required Education High School
- Tallahassee, FL 2410 Allen Rd. 32312, 2410 Allen Rd, Tallahassee, Florida, United States of America