Instructor in English, Upper Division
Pebble Beach, CA
Full-Time Instructor in English (grades 9-12)
Start Date: August 1, 2022
Stevenson is currently seeking a full-time English teacher for the 22/23 academic year. Stevenson’s English Department promotes critical thinking, responsible scholarship, and creative expression within an imaginative curriculum. In a seminar setting, we model a learning environment framed on the values of inquiry, mutual respect, and cooperative support. The program emphasizes the content and skills necessary for students to find success in college and beyond through progressive practice in reading, writing, vocabulary, grammar, speaking, and listening.
The successful candidate will teach five sections of a combination of two English courses (to be determined). Further expectations:
- Be philosophically aligned with the missions of the school and the department.
- Be inclined to critically-reflective practices across the full scope of craft, and favor a learner-centered approach to instruction.
- Meet and collaborate enthusiastically with colleagues to coordinate lesson plans and work with specific subjects of expertise.
- Communicate with students, parents, and colleagues in a timely and professional manner.
- Display excellent classroom management, communication, and organizational skills.
- Contribute talents and skills to the school community in additional capacities, including coaching and advising.
- Demonstrate an engaging love and enthusiasm for teaching literature and writing.
- A BA in English, Literature, or a related field.
- Professional experience relevant to working with high school students in an independent school setting that features a residential component. Experience with instructional technology, such as Google Tools and other related resources.
- Ability to contribute significantly to an established area of co-curricular life, such as by coaching an interscholastic team at either the junior varsity or varsity level.
Salary is competitive, commensurate with experience and education level, and includes meals when school is in sessions. Stevenson provides an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, a variety of health insurance offerings, dental, vision, life, short- and long-term disability offerings, and HSA/FSA options. Resources to support advanced degree work, as well as participation in professional conferences, workshops, summer study, and travel, are also available. As Stevenson is a boarding school there may be an opportunity to participate in our boarding program, for which accommodation (plus utilities) is provided.
About Stevenson School
Founded in 1952, Stevenson School is a selective co educational boarding and day school with 750 students and 30 buildings on 50 acres of land and two campuses. The 500-student upper division, comprising grades 9-12, is located on the Pebble Beach Campus, where about 60% of students reside in six faculty-supervised dormitories; the lower and middle divisions, totaling 250 students in grades PK-8, are located on the Carmel Campus.
As an American school with a global sensibility, Stevenson is premised on a vision of education as the means by which we discover ourselves in the world and thus contribute to its transformation. We believe that one’s education is best pursued in the company of others, for others’ benefit as well as one’s own. Our Latin motto—Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re (Gentle in manner, resolute in action)—inspires humility and perseverance. Our mission includes three aims: to prepare students for success in college and beyond, to foster their passion for learning and achievement, and to help them shape a joyful life.
In keeping with this project, Stevenson seeks to:
- Train students in critical academic, intellectual, social, and emotional skills;
- Help students to develop honor and integrity;
- Teach students to engage productively and peacefully with others;
- Nurture students’ ambitions and healthy pursuit of excellence;
- Balance convention and innovation such that we remain true to our enduring values and relevant to the emerging needs of the present generation of students.
We expect all members of our community to be:
- Devoted to our tenets of scholarship and citizenship;
- Honest, honorable, and empathetic;
- Able to examine and be responsible for their beliefs and behavior, respectful of the consequences that attend both;
- Willing to risk failure in the pursuit of wisdom;
- Committed to global literacy, environmental stewardship, and civic engagement.
Stevenson offers its students, faculty, and staff a values-driven community experience influenced by the distinctive beauty, ecological biodiversity, and contemplative culture of the Central Coast.
Stevenson is an equal opportunity employer. Unlawful discrimination based on sex, race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, citizenship, military or veteran status, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, genetic characteristics, and any other characteristic protected by Federal, State, or local laws is prohibited.
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Job Start Date Friday, July 1, 2022
- 3152 Forest Lake Rd, Pebble Beach, CA 93953, USA