Wildlife Care Intern - San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance
San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance is a nonprofit international conservation leader, committed to inspiring a passion for nature and creating a world where all life thrives. Empowering people from around the globe to support our mission to conserve wildlife through innovation and partnerships, we support cutting-edge conservation, and bring the stories of our work back to our two world-famous front doors — the San Diego Zoo and San Diego Zoo Safari Park — giving millions of guests, in person and virtually, the opportunity to experience conservation in action. The deep and extensive knowledge gained from more than a century of experience in wildlife care, health, veterinary services, nutrition and conservation makes us invaluable in the global effort to save species. Our team members play a crucial role in driving our conservation efforts forward and bringing us closer to a world where all life thrives.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
Wildlife Care Interns, under supervision from Wildlife Care Associates, Specialists and Supervisors, will gain knowledge and experience working around a variety of wildlife species, and engage with guests about wildlife and the mission of SDZWA.
Interns will also have the opportunity to learn about various specializations in the zoological career field through regularly scheduled Lunch and Learn Lectures with leading subject matter experts and specialized tour experiences at both the San Diego Zoo and the Safari Park. Our partners at Sempra are funding this internship program as part of their ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion through economic opportunities which we have been entrusted with.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Participate in scheduled learning activities and program evaluations.
- Provide for the general care and welfare of habitat wildlife under general supervision.
- Observe habitat wildlife behavior and report abnormal behavior.
- Educate guests about wildlife and the mission of the Organization.
- Under supervision from Staff, clean and maintain habitat areas.
- May assist in feeding habitat wildlife under general supervision.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Internship program dates are from May 23 – August 12th. Interested candidates must be available to work for the entire duration of the program. Selected participants will be provided with a stipend of $4,500 which will be paid out in three payment installments throughout the course of the internship to help offset the costs of housing, transportation, etc.
- JOB EXPERIENCE
- Training and/or experience that would demonstrate the essential functions, knowledge and skills listed.
- SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Desire to pursue a career in the zoological field.
- Communicate effectively (verbal and written).
- Able to learn the proper methods and procedures for hygienic wildlife care, feeding and handling.
- Able to deal tactfully and courteously with the public.
- Location: San Diego, CA and Escondido, CA
- Position Type: Summer Internship
- Duration: 12 weeks
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
SAN DIEGO ZOO WILDLIFE ALLIANCE IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER
At San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance, we thrive on celebrating our differences. Diversity is vital for the benefit of our employees, our guests, our community, and our wildlife.
SDZWA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. SDZWA will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ethnicity, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, marital status, parental status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Be an ally for wildlife by joining our team!
- San Diego County, CA, USA