Retail Accounting Manager
Summary of Position:
The Retail Accounting Manager is responsible for all accounting functions associated with commercial tenants in multi-family apartment buildings across the US. This position will report to the Controller and must work closely with Retail Asset Management, Investments, Property Management, Development and Accounting.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop GAAP procedures for retail portfolio in line with established residential procedures.
- Train accounting team on retail related items and procedures.
- Ensures consistency on retail transactions and process in accounting.
- Apply rent payments monthly.
- Accounts payable processing, reclasses, accruals for retail portfolio.
- Prepare tenant billbacks as required.
- Manage changes to retail chart of accounts and bill codes and ensure compliance across all divisions.
- Monthly financial reporting for retail portfolio to roll up to property and fund level financials.
- Assist property managers with retail variance explanations as needed.
- Ensure accuracy with straight line rent reporting monthly and at year end for tax reporting.
- Catalog invoices for annual reconciliations.
- Prepare annual reconciliations for review by Retail Asset Management team. Adjust, as necessary.
- Software super user for Commercial module.
- Process tenant improvement allowances, leasing commissions, and legal fees associated with new leases, including tenant and vendor set up.
- Manage retail vendor compliance, as necessary.
- Manage POA budgets and expenses where they exist.
- Update and manage the commercial lease cost amortization schedules and reporting to division controllers as needed.
- Participate in monthly distribution discussions.
- Manage tenant security and construction deposits, refund in a timely manner when required.
- Work with Asset Management and Property Management on annual budget process, including ensuring proper upload.
- Provide quarterly income reports for taxes.
- Collect and catalog tenant 1099s at year end.
- Some lease administration input as a backup to Senior Lease Analyst.
- Perform full cycle accounting close for a select number of multifamily residential entities.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Real Estate or Accounting preferred
- CPA Preferred.
- Five plus years of direct experience in retail property management accounting preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write and communicate effectively to comprehend and abstract legal and financial documents.
- Demonstrated mathematical and analytical skills necessary to add, subtract, multiply, and divide numbers, decimals, and fractions, and calculate percentages in order to complete, understand and interpret financial records, budgets, and leases.
- Proficiency in managing multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Proficiency with computerized financial and word processing software.
- Ability to learn new software quickly, experience with Real Page preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and collaborative environment.
This is primarily a sedentary office position which requires the Retail Accounting Manager to have the ability to operate computer equipment, speak, hear, bend, stoop, reach, lift, and move and carry up to 25 lbs. Finger dexterity is necessary.
- Pay Type Salary
- Irving, TX, USA