Sr. Quality Specialist I, Method Development Chemist
Purdue Pharma L.P. and its subsidiaries develop, manufacture and market medications and consumer health products to meet the evolving needs of healthcare professionals, patients, and caregivers. We were founded by physicians, and we are currently led by a physician. Beyond our efforts to provide quality medications, Purdue is committed to supporting national, regional and local collaborations to drive innovations in patient care. Privately held, Purdue is pursuing a pipeline of new medications through internal research & development and strategic industry partnerships.
For close to two decades Purdue has engaged in many initiatives to stem prescription opioid abuse. We are committed to bringing lifesaving relief to communities and individuals suffering from substance use disorder and overdose. We are currently developing or supporting the development of two essential life-saving opioid overdose reversal medications and have the capability to manufacture others for medication assisted treatment. Providing these medicines has the potential to improve and save countless lives.
We are driven by our purpose: Compassion for patients and excellence for science inspire our pursuit of new medicines.
We are building an exciting path forward, and we are committed to recruiting a dedicated team of professionals who advance our expertise through a commitment to Purdue’s Values: Integrity and Courage, underpinned by Innovation, and always in Collaboration with each other.
At Purdue Pharma and our subsidiaries, you have a unique career opportunity to work differently, uncover and seize new opportunities, and take a hands-on, ownership approach to your work. We go beyond traditional roles and find creative ways to extend our skills and interests, challenging ourselves to contribute in different, meaningful ways. We strive to create an environment where you can bring your best to work each day. We welcome the opportunity to have you on our team!
We respect diversity and accordingly are an equal opportunity and an affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to: actual or perceived race, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, color, age, creed, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, physical or mental disability, veteran status and military service, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws and ordinance.
For more information about your rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
- Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law (EEO)
- EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
- USERRA Rights
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
- E-Verify (English and Spanish)
- Right to Work (English and Spanish)
- Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (English)
- Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (Spanish)
We strive to make our Career opportunities website accessible to all users. If you need an accommodation to participate in the application process, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. This email is not for general employment inquiries or vendors; rather it is strictly for applicants who require assistance accessing our careers website.
Perform a variety of chemical analyses and GMP review of raw materials, packaging components, ancillary solutions, in-process samples, finished product samples, and stability samples in accordance with cGMP, GLP, DEA, and company policies and procedures. Author and review protocols for method development, method validation, method transfer, and/or process validation. Execute protocol testing, data review, report writing, and report reviewing. Conduct equipment validations IQs, OQs, PQs, and MQs, if necessary. Provide assistance and technical support to other groups with chemical testing needs and performs troubleshooting of analytical methods and instrumentation. May be responsible for technical supervision of Quality colleagues and serve as back-up to management to ensure smooth and efficient operation of the lab.
- Serve as an analytical project lead for all assigned products. Project leads ensure all required testing is completed to support the overall project timeline.
- Perform all assigned testing in a timely and organized manner in accordance with cGMP, GLP, DEA and company policies and procedures.
- Accurately document all necessary and relevant information in a clear concise manner as per cGMPs.
- Operate and maintain all analytical instrumentation and equipment as per established procedures.
- Write, revise, develop and evaluate operational and maintenance procedures.
- Communicate openly within the group to provide and gather information, to optimize the use of resources, and to optimize efficiency.
- Provide training and assistance to other group members.
- Actively participate in investigations, problem solving, and troubleshooting.
- Ensure that equipment and working areas are maintained with good safety and housekeeping practices.
- Re-stock chemicals and consumables used in analysis.
- Prepare and present data summaries (written and oral) as necessary.
- Exercises good judgment in interpreting, understanding context, and reporting data.
- Proactively identifies potential problems and recommend solutions.
- Prepares, writes, and distributes reports as appropriate.
- Participates in preparation and revision of job-related controlled documents.
- Performs analytical testing of samples under limited direction.
- Supports the creation, revision and development of test methods, operational and maintenance procedures, and other job-related controlled documents.
- Evaluates accuracy, completeness, and adequacy of reports.
- Independently prioritizes workload.
- Requires minimal guidance and supervision when conducting routine and non-routine activities in primary discipline.
- May interact with other departments/teams within the Company and with external regulatory agencies and business partners.
- Performs other related assignments and duties as required and assigned.
Education and Experience
The incumbent must have a BA or BS degree in Chemistry or closely related science with six years minimum laboratory experience in pharmaceutical or related industries; or a graduate degree (MS Preferred) with 4-7 years experience. Relevant experience may include academic and/or industry experience and is measured based on the quality and quantity of the experience as it relates to the requirements of the position.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Must demonstrate sound comprehension of multiple analytical technologies (HPLC, GC, Dissolution, Automation, or Spectroscopy – UV/Vis, Raman or IR); and must have a comprehensive knowledge of cGMPs and FDA requirements as well as familiarity with USP and EP monographs.
Supervisory Responsibilities (if Applicable)
All Sr. Quality Specialist I (Method Development Chemist) report to the Manager/Senior Manager. The Sr. Quality Specialist I may supervise junior staff including temporary staff and interns.
- Effectively identifies, describes and communicates problem and impact in a timely manner.
- Routinely participates in problem resolution.
- Identifies, tracks and resolves issues to closure.
- Proactively identifies potential problems and recommends possible solutions.
- Evaluates accuracy, completeness and adequacy of reports.
- Authors, revises and annotates job-related controlled documents.
- May train Quality colleagues in processes and procedures.
- May be responsible for technical supervision of Quality colleagues. This may include:
- Assigning work
- Day-to-day supervision
- Input to performance evaluation
- Participating in hiring process
Organizes and coordinates activities for assigned projects anticipating future needs.
- Job Family Quality
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required No
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- 4701 International Blvd, Wilson, NC 27893, USA