Under the supervision of the Executive Director of Elder Services and the Director of Nursing, the CNA will provide personal care, in-home meal preparation, light housekeeping, assist with ADL’s, vital signs to the Tribal Elders in the Residence assisted living or in the home.
Position will be assigned to one area, but may be required to cover for staff at either the Assisted Living Facility or in the Community.
Essential Duties and Responsibility:
- Competently assists assigned Elders with ADL’s, transfers, repositioning, personal care, checking head to toe for bruises, blood in urine and for any injuries or wounds.
- Assists Elders with bathing, grooming, shaving, oral hygiene, elimination needs, dressing/undressing, and ambulation together with any daily tasks (e.g. making bed, changing linens, laundry, light housekeeping, etc.) essential to the Elder's health in accordance with the individualized care plan.
- Provide Elders with assistance transferring in and out of beds, baths, wheelchairs, chairs or automobiles.
- Takes Elders blood pressure, pulse, temperature, respirations, blood sugar, intake and output (I & O‘s) when needed. Specimen collection and post mortem care.
- Provides medication administration once training is complete.
- Calls 911 when Elder is experiencing significant health issues.
- Ongoing close observation and monitoring of Elder’s health, activities, and habits. Immediately reports any noticeable changes, however small, to supervisor.
- Provides for comfort and needs of the Elders ensuring their safety and well-being.
- Works effectively as a team member in the delivery of care and assisted in the orientation of new employees.
- Accurately updates and documents Elders health records in a timely manner.
- Answers/responds to call lights and/or requests for assistance promptly and respectfully. Provides welfare checks throughout shift.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-day records of patient care, condition, progress and problems in order to report and discuss observations with supervisor or assigned nurse.
- Report and document any injury, fall or change of status immediately to supervisor.
- Assist Elders when directed in simple prescribed exercises and in the use of braces or artificial limbs.
- Assist Elders to and from dining room or with in-home dining. Assists with feeding when necessary.
- Adheres to infection control and other safety practices.
- Cleans and sanitizes areas used and occupied by patient/Elder.
- Utilizes resources and materials in an efficient and safe manner.
- Maintains a safe and attractive environment for Elders and co-workers; transports Elders and equipment as appropriate.
- Notifies family members when Elder needs shopping done for them.
- Accepts reassignment as needed to provide necessary care for all Elders.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and a minimum of three months of social service health field-related experience and/or training/ or satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must have and maintain a Certified Nursing Assistant certificate.
Must demonstrate a mature, emotionally stable manner and display a sympathetic attitude toward providing services to clients at home or in the Assistant Living Facility who have medical issues.
Puyallup Tribal Members that have their Nurses Assistant Registered (NAR) certification from an accredited school and do not yet meet the experience requirements will be considered but must be able to obtain their Certified Nursing Assistant certification at next available testing date and must participate in trainee program for first 6 months of employment.
Must demonstrate appropriate judgment skills to be able to make independent decisions in routine client care matters.
Must take initiative and responsibility for decisions as an individual and exhibit commitment to the goals and vision of the department.
Must place the needs of the client first at all times and strive to deliver excellent care to clients in their home or residence.
Must provide a high-level of customer service to Elders and Elder’s family member.
Must adhere to ethical business practices by striving to perform in a manner that conforms to the highest standards of ethical behavior, integrity and honesty. Maintains professionalism and mindful regard to client’s privacy, personal effects, safety, health and well-being.
Maintains integrity and standard of personal ethics on and off the job so as not to call trustworthiness with client’s personal effects into question.
Continuously promotes a safe and efficient working environment by adhering to the Tribe’s and Department’s policies and procedures.
Continually maintains confidentiality of all departmental and client related information. Protects client’s right to privacy.
Maintains proper attendance and punctuality to ensure that the department is operated in an efficient and cost effective manner.
Adheres to departmental dress codes as requested by supervisor.
Attends and participates in staff meetings, required in-services, departmental activities and other meetings as requested.
Utilizes material, equipment and time in a safe, beneficial and cost effective manner. Organizes workload to complete responsibilities in an appropriate and timely manner.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Licenses or Certificates
Must have a valid and unrestricted Washington State driver’s license and be insurable, and must sign a release of information to obtain a Washington State Driving Abstract periodically throughout employment.
Must have a Certified Nursing Assistant certificate or be a Puyallup Tribal Member able to obtain the CNA certification within six months of hire.
Must have or obtain First Aid/CPR certification within the first 90 days of employment.
Must provide proof of COVID vaccination before interview or be fully vaccinated prior to hire.
Other Skills and Abilities
Ability and knowledge to work closely with Puyallup Tribal clients.
Must be culturally sensitive to Tribal customs, traditions and practices.
Must submit to and pass a criminal background check prior to employment and periodically after employment, including random urine analysis to ensure safety of clients.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear and perform repetitive movements of the upper extremities.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, perform one person transfer under routine and emergency situations, reposition a bedbound patient alone.
- Ability to withstand periodic contact with dog/cat hair, dust, mold, mildew and household cleaning solutions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- The employee must possess reliable means of transportation to and from work.
- The employee may be exposed to unsanitary conditions in some home settings.
- The employee may be exposed to high crime areas within the service community.
- The employee may be required to endure exposure to weather and temperature extremes.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Required to travel to Puyallup Tribal client’s homes throughout the service area.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA