Elder Services Home Companion
Closes: When Filled
Department: Elders Care Services
Reports To: Assistant director, Elder Services
Hours: 40 Hours/Week – Full Time
Salary: Based on Salary Matrix + Benefits*
*Salaries are market competitive. For accurate salary information, call (253) 573-7863 or email email@example.com.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians provides a generous benefits package that includes employer paid medical, dental, vision, life insurance, a retirement/401(k) plan with profit sharing, paid holidays, and paid time off including birthday leave.
MUST BE FULLY VACCINATED FOR COVID-19 PRIOR TO HIRE.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director RN, the Home Companion will provide meal preparation, light housekeeping, essential shopping trips with the Elder, and transport Elder to health related appointments. This position, promotes the health of the Elder by assisting them to adhere to prescribed medications, diet and exercise plans to in their homes as outlined by a home support care plan.
May be required to become a nursing assistant certified (NAC) within six months after first day of employment.
Essential Duties and Responsibility:
Engage with Elder by conversing with them, playing games, assist with creative projects, and accompanying to appropriate social activities.
Provides transportation to clients for healthcare appointments, essential shopping and activities. These tasks may require a variety of duties as requested by the Elder to include obtaining household supplies and running errands.
- Accompanies client to doctors’ offices and on other trips outside the home, providing transportation, assistance and companionship.
- Reminds Elder to take medications and engage in activities.
- Supervises personal hygiene. Report any concerns to supervisor.
Consistently and accurately monitors Elders, records and reports daily activities, interventions, and any indicators Elder may not be functioning at their baseline of independence.
Plan, prepare and serve nutritious meals taking into consideration the dietary restriction preferences, assist with feeding Elder as needed. May be required to assist with purchase of food needed for meal preparation. Also required to provide clean-up after meal preparation.
Handling the basic housekeeping i.e. dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, shopping, organizing and laundry.
Provides emotional support as elders heal or copes with disabilities, aging, sickness, or surgery.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and six months experience in preparing nutritious meals, performing light housekeeping and providing companionship to a client(s); or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Must demonstrate a mature, emotionally stable manner and display a sympathetic attitude toward providing services to clients at home who have medical or behavioral health issues.
- To be a successful companion, you should be focused on providing the best possible support for the Elder. You should be sympathetic, responsible, attentive, and detail oriented.
- Must take a genuine interest in the Elder by listening to their needs ensuring that their environment is clean and safe.
- Must take initiative and responsibility for decisions as an individual and exhibit commitment to the goals and vision of the department.
- Must adhere to ethical business practices by striving to perform in a manner that conforms to the highest standards of ethical behavior, integrity and honesty. Maintains professionalism and mindful regard to client’s privacy, personal effects, safety, health and well-being.
- Maintains integrity and standard of personal ethics on and off the job so as not to call trustworthiness with client’s personal effects into question.
- Continuously promotes a safe and efficient working environment by adhering to the Tribe’s and Department’s policies and procedures.
- Continually maintains confidentiality of all departmental and client related information. Protects client’s right to privacy.
- Maintains proper attendance and punctuality to ensure that the department is operated in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Adheres to departmental dress codes as requested by supervisor.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, required in-services, departmental activities and other meetings as requested.
- Utilizes material, equipment and time in a safe, beneficial and cost effective manner. Organizes workload to complete responsibilities in an appropriate and timely manner.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Licenses or Certificates
Must have a valid and unrestricted Washington State driver’s license and be insurable, and must sign a release of information to obtain a Washington State Driving Abstract periodically throughout employment. Driver’s License must not contain any restrictions that would prevent the employee from driving a GSA vehicle.
Must have or obtain (and maintain) a First Aid/CPR certification within the first 90 days of employment.
Must have a Negative TB Skin Test.
Must successfully complete and pass Elders Training/Orientation as provided by the Elders Care and Vulnerable Adults Services Department.
Other Skills and Abilities
Ability and knowledge to work closely with Puyallup Tribal clients.
Must be culturally sensitive to Tribal customs, traditions and practices.
Must submit to and pass a criminal and social and health services background check prior to employment and periodically after employment, including random urine analysis to ensure safety of clients. Background check includes fingerprinting clearance.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear and perform repetitive movements of the upper extremities.
- Ability to withstand periodic contact with dog/cat hair, dust, mold, mildew and household cleaning solutions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- The employee must possess reliable means of transportation to and from work.
- The employee may be exposed to unsanitary conditions in some home settings.
- The employee may be exposed to high crime areas within the service community.
- The employee may be required to endure exposure to weather and temperature extremes.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Required to travel to Puyallup Tribal client’s homes throughout the service area.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA