Tax and License Program Coordinator
Close: June 7, 2022 @ 8:59 p.m. PST
Department: Tax and License
Reports To: Tax and License Director
Under the general director of the Director is responsible for administration and enforcement of licensing, record keeping, auditing, and taxation of tribal businesses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Under supervision of Director interprets, analyzes and evaluates business tax laws, ordinances and other regulations relating to the administration and enforcement of the licensing and taxation function.
- Reviews, tracks and audits business owner’s accounts to ensure accuracy of account balances and assesses appropriate taxes.
- Updates accounts by written and telephonic communication, or correspondence to ensure more accurate balances.
- Responsible for the collection of business taxes through utilization of accounting reports and by auditing and examining accounts.
- Utilizes the established Tribal Business Code to assess the amount of licensing and/or taxes due in accordance with the Code.
- Inspects any business licensed according to the Tribal Business Code to determine their compliance with any provision of the Tribal Business Code.
- Prints or produces business applications, tax forms, Business Code, Liquor Code, Resolutions and/or any other forms and make them available to the public.
- Receives and reviews all applications for complete information according to the Tribal Business Code.
- Ensures all applicants provide all necessary documentation with the application required by the Tribal Business Code.
- Ensures all renewal applicants are in compliance with the Tribal Business Code.
- Routes business applications to Director for final approval.
- Tracks and schedules Administration Building vendors to ensure necessary fees are paid and equitable scheduling is adhered to.
- Communicates with applicants and business owners, and Tribal Departments, to resolve any issues dealing with licensing or taxation.
- Works with and communicates with the Tribal Cigarette Licensing Department.
- Works with and communicates with the various Tribal Departments to ensure all Washington State and Federal Laws and Regulations are being complied with by all applicants.
- Works with and communicates with all outside entities to ensure compliance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
HS Diploma; and three years related experience and/or training in administrative office support; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Knowledge and experience with computer software programs including Word for Windows, Excel required.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted Washington State driver’s license. Driver’s license must not contain any restrictions that would prevent the employee from driving a GSA vehicle.
Must pass a criminal background check.
- Requires the ability to operate a typewriter, personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee occasionally is required to stand and walk.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level is low to moderate.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- There are frequent employee contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Some travel, mostly local, using the employee’s own vehicle is required.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA