Tribal Council Secretary
Closes: June 3, 2022 @ 8:59 p.m.
Department: Tribal Council Offices
Reports To: Lead Secretary
Hours: 40 Hours/Week – Full Time
Salary: Based on Salary Matrix + Benefits*
This position serves at the pleasure of the Tribal Council and provides general office and secretarial support including the recording of minutes of all regular and special meetings of the Puyallup Tribal Council. Keeps official records for the Puyallup Tribal Government. Acts as an intergovernmental liaison with the other governmental offices, entities and Tribal Departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Makes referrals and obtains information. Routes telephone calls to appropriate departmental personnel.
- Assists the public by checking records and files for requested information; provides information and forms to the public as needed.
- Operates a variety of office equipment including multi-line telephone, copiers, postage meters, facsimile machines, scanners and computers; input and retrieve data and text; organize and maintain disk storage and filing.
- Collects, logs and routes all mail coming into the Puyallup Tribal Council Offices.
- Generates purchase orders and check requests as assigned.
- Prepares Tribal Council meeting agendas.
- Collects, reviews and logs all incoming agenda request forms.
- Records regular and special meetings of the Tribal Council when requested and prepares minutes in a timely manner to be submitted to the Council for approval.
- Following set procedure regarding review and disbursement of minutes as approved by Council.
- Responsible for the highest security of minutes for all Council meetings and confidential information.
- Routes all documents receiving Council action to the related department.
- Notifies all departments and/or other organizations of any Council direction and follow up as necessary.
- Provides back-up for other staff members as needed.
- Maintains Tribal Council calendar and schedules regular or special Council meetings.
- Promptly provides information to membership and assists members with the governmental program and procedures either by phone, e-mail or in face-to-face meetings.
- Assists with the maintenance of records of individual Council members, to include clerical support such as typing letters, memos, reports, bulletins, etc., making copies, filing logging and mailing or distributing documents..
- Sends approved Tribal Resolutions to the BIA monthly.
- Sends approved Tribal Resolutions to the BIA monthly.
- Responsible for logging, tracking their progress and close-out of pending agenda items when completed.
- Keeps an inventory of all office supplies. Makes and maintains records of all department purchases, check requests, and accounts payable vouchers.
- Initiates and maintains contact with vendor for supplies and services.
- Communicates cell phone approvals to Administration for order processing.
- Assembles sponsorship/assistance for Youth and Adults.
- Maintains inventory of all artwork purchased by Tribal Council.
- Travels with Tribal Council as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school and two years related experience and/or training in a progressively responsible position.
One year of experience must be in a support position to senior management; or satisfactory equivalent combination of education and experience.
Intermediate experience and knowledge using word processing and spreadsheets (i.e. Word for Windows, Excel, Access, etc.) required.
Must be able to accurately type 34-45 WPM.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to follow parliamentary procedure and Roberts Rules of Order.
- Completion of class on recording minutes.
- In-depth understanding of all department programs in order to provide accurate referral information to membership and staff.
- Ability to perform accurate work in a stressful setting while tactfully dealing with angry, upset or frustrated individuals.
- Must demonstrate cultural sensitivity and be able to keep sensitive issues confidential.
- Must be a Puyallup Tribal Member
- Requires the ability to operate a typewriter, personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, sit, climb or balance, and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level is low to moderate.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- There are frequent employee contacts and interruptions during the day.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3009 Portland Ave E, Tacoma, WA 98404, USA