DAP Assistant Controller
Close: May 31, 2022
Job Title: Assistant Controller
Entity: DAP and Associates
Reports To: Controller
Questions regarding this job posting may be directed to DAP at 253-573-7940.
The Assistant Controller will plan and direct the accounting operations of the Puyallup Tribe.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains a documented system of accounting policies and procedures; implements a system of controls over accounting transactions to minimize risk.
- Oversees the production of periodic financial reports; ensures that the reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles and the GASB (Governmental Accounting Standards Board).
- Recommends benchmarks that will be used to measure the Tribe’s performance.
- Oversees the budgeting process and produces the annual budget. Reports significant budget differences to Tribal Council and Administration.
- Establish and maintain budgets and process disbursements for Capital Projects.
- Works with external auditors and provides needed information for the annual audit.
- Prepares and provides quarterly financial statement package to Tribal Council, Finance and Administration.
- Ensures compliance with Tribal policies and procedures including the Financial control manual and Procurement manual.
- Prepares and files quarterly, semi-annual and annual financial grant reports as required.
- Performs other related duties as necessary or assigned.
- Manage a team of 17 professionals and clerical staff.
- Other duties as assigned
- Oversees the operations of the Accounting Department, which includes accounts payable, accounts receivable, account reconciliations, payroll, grants management and reporting, Budget Process, Financial Statement preparation and support outside auditors
- Oversees training programs and identifies training needs for Accounting.
Qualifications and Requirements
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration required.
- Minimum ten years or more of related experience evidenced in increasing responsibility required in a large organization setting with multiple business and programs.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA, active license), required.
• Excellent management and supervisory skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Proficient in accounting software systems.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel and Access.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, an draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Licenses or Certificates
Must have CPA certification. Must have and maintain a valid and unrestricted state driver’s license and proof of insurance. The driver’s license must not contain any restrictions that would otherwise prevent the employee from complying with DAP or Puyallup Tribal policy.
Employee must demonstrate ability to interact with others tactfully and in a positive manner, be a team player, and work cooperatively with members of the department, Tribal Administration and the community.
Must maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Requires the ability to operate a personal computer, multi-line telephone, calculator, facsimile and photocopier, and other pertinent office equipment.
- Requires the ability to read, write, communicate, and interpret information accurately in English.
- Requires the ability to concentrate and consistently produce accurate work.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderate.
- The physical exertion is low to moderate.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- There may be frequent interruptions during the work day requiring the ability to stop and restart work projects.
- Local travel as needed.
DAP and Associates reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Tacoma, WA, USA