Why Planned Parenthood?
Working at Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest, Hawai’i, Alaska, Indiana and Kentucky is more than a job. It provides the opportunity to contribute to our powerful mission and perform meaningful work.
As an organization, we are focused on equity, diversity, and inclusion. Specifically, we recognize that profound racism impacts the education, health, and well-being of people in our communities and we are actively working to address all forms of oppression. We believe our employees should reflect the diversity of the populations we serve, including racial and ethnic diversity. People of color are strongly urged to apply.
About this position:
Under the general supervision of the Communications Director, Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest, Hawaii, Alaska, Indiana, Kentucky (PPGNHAIK) has an opening for a Communications Manager covering an assigned region across six states: Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky and western Washington. The Communications Manager will develop and manage the public and media relations functions of PPGNHAIK and the advocacy organization, Planned Parenthood Alliance Advocates (PPAA) and the content it delivers. The core responsibility of the Communications Manager is to serve as one of the primary media contacts across our region, work alongside the Communications Team, and advance the organization’s mission through traditional communications tools, tactics and strategies.
Salary range: $66,708 - $100,062 annually (adjusted based on cost of living)
The Communications Manager role is currently virtual.
What you’ll be doing:
- The Communications Manager will support communications work across the six states where we operate.
- This position will help to build reach, develop communications plans and advance our health care, advocacy, education and other work.
- The position coordinates communication between staff, media outlets, and with Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF), PPAA and PPGNHAIK.
- The manager serves as a primary media contact for PPGNHAIK/PPAA and coordinates with the Communications Director and subject matter experts on key communications efforts.
- Under the direction of the Communications Director the Communications Manager will implement communication and public relations plans and strategies that will broaden programmatic reach and deepen impact.
- Works and collaborates with organizational partners, coordinates communications across departments, and develops communications plans for PPGNHAIK and PPAA.
- Prepares press releases, statements, media advisories, and organizes press conferences and briefings.
- Builds and maintains organizational media presence and visibility, proactively seeking out and securing earned media coverage.
- Monitors and reports media hits and prepares reports for senior leadership.
- Partners closely with the policy staff in Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, and western Washington to implement strategic statewide communications, including goals, target audiences, key messages, timeline, speakers, and media outreach.
- Works with Development, Education, Clinical Services, and organization’s leadership to deliver a consistent, unified message.
- Serves as a primary media contact and on the record spokesperson for PPGNHAIK and PPAA.
- Works independently and effectively and manages multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Coordinates and prepares subject matter experts and spokespeople as appropriate to ensure local/regional/national media representation.
- Leads media training sessions to train staff and volunteers to effectively communicate to the public in various mediums. Arranges and/or participates in interviews and handles prep and media training.
- Manages affiliate participation in national, statewide, and local advocacy programs, under the supervision of the Communications Director and policy staff.
- Remains relevant and current on latest PPFA/PPAF talking points, tailors for spokespersons and/or internal or local distribution, as needed.
- Incorporates national messaging and media outreach as directed from Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and the Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) as appropriate and as a part of national, federal campaign efforts.
We’ll trust you to:
- Adheres to the PPGNHAIK code of conduct and all policies, procedures and protocols.
- Demonstrates and maintains a high degree of professionalism.
- Takes action to support the affiliate’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Supports and acts in accordance with the PPGNHAIK customer service standards.
- Values continuous learning and seeks ongoing training and development.
You’ll need to have:
- BA/BS in journalism, marketing, communications, political science or related field required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience in public relations, campaigns, health care, government relations, and/or advocacy.
- Extensive local/regional media contacts and experience pitching stories.
- Superior written, analytical, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience developing content for websites and social media outlets.
- Proof of completed COVID-19 Vaccinations is required prior to starting employment with PPGNHAIK.
As part of our total rewards package, we offer meaningful work, promotional opportunities, and competitive compensation. Our attractive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and eligible dependents, life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, as well as a retirement plan with matching contributions by employer. For additional information regarding compensation, pay scales, or total rewards, please reach out to email@example.com.
Please click apply now below to submit an application and resume. Once your information has been reviewed by our recruitment team, we will reach out by telephone and email to schedule an interview for all qualified applicants. Please continue to check your spam folder for all email communications that may come from our organization.
Equal opportunity employment
PPGNHAIK is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to recruit persons of diverse backgrounds and to support their retention and advancement within the organization. Justice is one of our core values, and we are committed to fostering a workplace culture inclusive of people with respect to their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, veteran status, marital status, age, disabilities, political affiliation, religious beliefs or any other characteristic. Our commitment to justice and diversity also means providing a work environment that is welcoming, respectful and engaging.
Racism deeply impacts the health and wellbeing of our communities, compounding existing disparities and creating intersectional barriers. We strive to name and address these barriers through community engagement and assessment, relevant and effective policy creation, and organizational accountability methods. We support initiatives that address all forms of oppression, however, maintaining an explicit focus on race is essential to advancing equity across our communities. Improving outcomes for people of color will improve outcomes for everyone.
- Job Function Manager
- Pay Type Salary
- Alaska, USA
- Hawaii, USA
- Idaho, USA
- Indiana, USA
- Kentucky, USA
- Washington, USA