Legal Professional Assistant - General Litigation
Parker Poe, PNC Plaza, Raleigh, North Carolina, United States of America Req #291
Wednesday, August 3, 2022
Become part of the Parker Poe team that – for more than a century – has represented many of the Southeast’s largest companies and local governments. We are a tight-knit firm that values the person beyond the lawyer or professional. Because of this, in addition to structured integration efforts, you will find that mentorship, professional development, and internal referrals happen organically. If you want to join a collaborative team providing sophisticated legal services – without losing sight of our calling to give back to our communities – this is the place to be.
We are not utilizing agencies to fill this position.
The Legal Professional Assistant (LPA) will provide administrative support to approximately four or more attorneys. The LPA will interact with external clients as well as internal support staff.
The LPA will work a regular schedule as determined by the Office Administrator/HR and/or the assigned attorneys. The typical schedule will consist of 7.5 hours per day equating to 37.5 hours per week. Additional hours (including overtime) will be required on occasion.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepares legal documents, pleadings, contracts and correspondence from draft or dictated text.
• Manages attorneys’ calendars and assists in meeting deadlines.
• Dockets court filing deadlines and scheduling orders.
• Maintains attorneys’ time entry for billing purposes.
• Coordinates attorneys’ and/or clients’ travel arrangements including scheduling flights, ground transportation, overnight accommodations, preparing directions, and confirming travel schedules.
• Performs clerical duties such as scheduling appointments, transcribing dictation, composing and typing routine correspondence, scanning and converting various documents, and reading and routing incoming mail.
• Answers a multi-line telephone system, determines the purpose of calls, and transfers callers to appropriate personnel.
• Greets and assists visitors in a professional and courteous manner.
• Assists in the review and issuance of client invoices.
• Coordinates conference room set-ups.
• Files correspondence and legal documents in office electronic and paper filing system.
• Maintains and organizes new and existing client files.
• Ensures proper indexing and filing of original legal documents.
• Manages and organizes attorneys’ contacts in database. Supports business development activities as needed.
• Ensures proper indexing and filing of original legal documents. Prepares closed case files for scanning and destruction.
• Adheres to all firm policies, procedures, standards and guidelines. Maintains confidentiality.
• Other duties as assigned by the Office Administrator and/or the assigned attorneys.
• 5+ years of experience as a legal secretary or as an administrative assistant in a law firm or legal department. Experience supporting litigators in the following practice areas:
o Business Litigationo Construction, Development and Condemnation
• Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Proficiency in State & Federal Electronic Filing.
• Knowledge of NC court rules preferred.
• Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including typing skills of 55-60 WPM.
• Effective communicator. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strong proofreading skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Excellent time management skills. Must effectively prioritize work/projects and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment. Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, set priorities and accommodate rush requests.
• Motivated, self-directed individual with ability to anticipate and resolve issues and work with little to no supervision.
• Must be a team player, willing to support other firm members and non-direct report attorneys during staff shortages.
• Experience using a legal time and billing system.
• Ability to operate office equipment such as copy/scanning machine, postage meter, and fax machine.
Parker Poe is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes recruitment, employment, promotional and all other personnel decisions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Parker Poe, PNC Plaza, Raleigh, North Carolina, United States of America