Head Swim Team Coach
Luter Family YMCA, 259 James Street , Smithfield, Virginia, United States of America Req #1648
Wednesday, June 22, 2022
Imagine being part of one of the most respected human services organizations in the world—a place where your work positively influences the lives of others, a place where you thrive in a values-based environment, a place where you are building a better future for yourself and your community.
Under the supervision of the designated supervisor, and in harmony with the mission and purpose of the established policies and goals of the YMCA of the Virginia Peninsulas, the Swim Team Coach will be responsible for coaching the YMCA swim team program. With an emphasis on ensuring the highest quality service to members and guests, the Swim Team Coach will work with all staff to welcome, connect, support, and engage all members, guests, and staff.
1. Minimum of 21 years of age.
2. Certification in one of the following:
a. Red Cross Lifeguarding or YMCA Lifeguarding preferred. Cross over to YMCA Lifeguarding within six months of hire or;
b. YMCA Aquatic Safety Assistant (YISA) or YMCA Instructor Safety Assistant (YASA)
3. Minimum of one year of supervisory experience preferred.
4. Certification through the YMCA, American Swim Coaches Association (ASCA), or USA Swimming is preferred.
5. Certification in YMCA Swim Official Level 1.
6. Certification in Principles of YMCA Competitive Swimming and Diving is required within the first year of employment.
7. Complete and maintain required trainings to include but not limited to: New Employee Orientation (NEO), Bloodborne Pathogens, Child Abuse Prevention (CAP), and Sexual Harassment upon hire and annually thereafter.
8. Certification in CPR/First Aid/AED/O2.
9. Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check and Child Protective Services check.
1. Support the mission, vision, and goals of the YMCA.
2. Promote a professional work environment through character development by modeling the values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
3. Lead in a manner that advances our cause to strengthen the foundations of community through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
4. Coach the competitive swimming program in a manner consistent with YMCA standards
5. Supervise the general facilities on-site (swim team equipment and pool use) to ensure proper pool and equipment use and safety.
6. Prepare, communicate and manage swim meets.
7. Communicate with swimmers and parents to keep participants current on team policies and activities.
8. Maintain a team roster and individual meet achievements for each team member.
9. Represent the YMCA at all organizational meetings for swim league.
10. Familiar with Meet Manager.
11. Participate at all swim team parent’s meetings.
12. Follow mandated abuse reporting requirements.
13. Provide staff with on-going supervision and training related to abuse risk.
14. Attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
15. Wear proper attire (approved one-piece swimsuit), or professional attire when appropriate to include name tag.
16. Attend all swim team functions and be responsible for the conduct of additional coaches, team members and parents.
17. Follow association standard guidelines.
18. Promote and participate in YMCA fundraising efforts to include Annual Support and United Way Campaigns.
19. Ensure all members, guests, and program participants are in a safe environment and actively follow center Emergency Operations Plan (EOP).
20. Act as a leader in emergency situations. Report any accidents or incidents according to Emergency Communication Action Plan.
21. Carry out other related duties as deemed necessary by the Aquatics Department and center operations to ensure an excellent member experience.
YMCA Competencies (Team Leader):
Engaging Community, Communication & Influence, Inclusion, Collaboration, Emotional Maturity, Critical Thinking & Decision Making, Developing Self & Others, Philanthropy
1. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the YMCA’s policies and applicable laws.
2. Responsibilities include assisting in interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
3. Build positive relationships with other Association staff members; share information with appropriate associates; cooperate with others in the Association.
Skills and Ability Requirements:
1. Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints.
2. Ability to pass lifeguard water test and meet requirements of ongoing drills.
3. Must be able to remain alert.
4. Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
5. Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
6. Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
7. Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
8. Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
9. Ability to supervise staff.
Excellent benefits, including 12% retirement upon meeting the requirements of the National YMCA Retirement Fund. Includes YMCA Adult Membership.
- Job Family Aquatics
- Pay Type Hourly
- Hiring Rate $16.00
This posting is inactive.
- Luter Family YMCA, 259 James Street , Smithfield, Virginia, United States of America