Lead Personal Trainer
Victory Family YMCA, 101 Long Green Boulevard, Yorktown, Virginia, United States of America Req #1626
Monday, May 23, 2022
Imagine being part of one of the most respected human services organizations in the world—a place where your work positively influences the lives of others, a place where you thrive in a values-based environment, a place where you are building a better future for yourself and your community.
Under the supervision of the designated supervisor, and in harmony with the mission and purpose of
the established policies and goals of the YMCA of the Virginia Peninsulas, the Lead Personal Trainer will be responsible for increasing personal training clientele for the YMCA by actively promoting Personal Training and Small Group Training programs to members on a reoccurring basis and generating enrollment. When not training, The Lead Personal Trainer is also responsible for maintaining equipment and surrounding areas, and engaging and coaching members. With an emphasis on ensuring the highest quality service to members and guests, the Lead Personal Trainer will work with all staff to welcome, connect, support, and engage all members and staff.
1. Minimum of 21 years of age.
2. Must have a minimum of 3 years in the fitness field.
3. A college degree in fitness field is preferred. A National Fitness Certification (ACE, AFAA, ACSM, NSCA preferred) is required.
4. Ability to relate well with staff and the public.
5. Must have ability to positively interact with people from all backgrounds, ages, and lifestyles.
6. Must be able to work with diverse populations.
7. Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, required.
8. Must obtain YMCA Healthy Lifestyle Principles and Foundations of Strength and Conditioning within
first 6 months of employment.
9. Certification in CPR/First Aid/AED/O2 required within 60 days of hire.
10. Complete and maintain required trainings to include: New Employee Orientation (NEO),
Bloodborne Pathogens, Child Abuse Prevention (CAP), and Sexual Harassment.
11. Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check and Child Protective Services check.
1. Support the mission, vision and goals of the YMCA.
2. Promote a professional values-based culture by leading with the values of caring, honesty,
respect, and responsibility.
3. Lead in a manner that advances our cause to strengthen the foundations of community through
programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
4. Acquire and retain personal and small group training clients.
5. Generate and convert training leads.
6. Supervise the wellness area.
7. Engage YMCA members through coaching on wellness activities.
8. Provide member training, orientations, and evaluations as scheduled.
9. Provide and document daily, weekly and monthly equipment checks.
10. Perform daily cleaning in the wellness area and follow documentation procedures.
11. Input maintenance requests in association maintenance software.
12. Perform programmatic duties as assigned.
13. Perform staff supervisory duties as assigned.
14. Attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
15. Wear staff uniform and name tag, or professional attire when appropriate.
16. Act as a leader in emergency situations. Report any accidents or incidents according to Emergency
Communication Action Plan.
17. Follow Association Wellness standards.
18. Carry out other related duties as deemed necessary by the Wellness Department and center
operations to ensure an excellent member experience.
LEAD PERSONAL TRAINER:
1. Acquire and maintain predetermined and assigned number of clients.
2. Wellness Coach responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, new program implementation, following up on leads, performing Fitness Orientations with new members, enforcing rules and maintaining cleanliness and regulation of wellness center.
3. Must be able to meet the physical aspects of the position, including walking, standing, bending,
and reaching for extended periods.
4. Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
5. Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Engaging Community, Communication & Influence, Inclusion, Collaboration, Functional Expertise
Skills and Ability Requirements:
1. Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints.
2. Ability to effectively sell training packages to members.
3. Ability to properly prepare, implement, and prescribe exercise to members.
Effect on End Results:
1. Paid programming growth and retention plan for the center is achieved.
2. A high degree of member satisfaction is achieved as measured by Net Promoters.
3. A positive image of the YMCA is portrayed to members, staff, volunteers and the community.
4. A pleasant and comfortable working environment is maintained for all staff.
5. Relationships are strengthened through intentional interactions.
6. The facility will be safe, clean and an enjoyable place as measured by Q Checks and Risk
7. Superior quality standards are met as evidenced by department’s Association Audit Score.
Excellent benefits, including 12% retirement upon meeting the requirements of the National YMCA Retirement Fund. 65% employee paid health/dental insurance, FSA, $25,000 Life/AD&D policy, vacation and sick leave. Includes YMCA Family Membership.
- Job Family Wellness
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $17.00
- Max Hiring Rate $21.00
- Victory Family YMCA, 101 Long Green Boulevard, Yorktown, Virginia, United States of America