Facility Services Custodian
Tom & Ann Hunnicutt YMCA, 7827 Warwick Boulevard, Newport News, Virginia, United States of America Req #1510
Wednesday, May 4, 2022
Imagine being part of one of the most respected human services organizations in the world—a place where your work positively influences the lives of others, a place where you thrive in a values-based environment, a place where you are building a better future for yourself and your community.
Under the supervision of the designated supervisor, and in harmony with the mission and purpose of the established policies and goals of the YMCA of the Virginia Peninsulas, the Custodian is responsible for cleanliness and sanitation of interior and exterior facility areas of the center. With an emphasis on ensuring the highest quality service to members and guests, the Custodian will work with all staff to welcome, connect, support, and engage all members, guests, and staff.
1. Minimum of 18 years of age.
2. Must be able to interact positively with people of all ages and abilities.
3. Must be able to function unsupervised while providing high level of detail work with strict compliance to maintenance procedures.
4. Background in commercial level cleaning preferred.
5. Certification of CPR/First Aid/AED/O2 required within the 60 days.
6. Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check and Child Protective Services check.
7. Complete and maintain required trainings to include but not limited to: New Employee Orientation (NEO), Bloodborne Pathogens, Child Abuse Prevention (CAP), and Sexual Harassment upon hire and annually thereafter.
1. Supports the mission, vision and goals of the YMCA.
2. Promote a professional work environment through character development by modeling the values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
3. Lead in a manner that advances our cause to strengthen the foundations of our community through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
4. Participate in promoting YMCA membership through assisting in the recruiting and retaining of members.
5. Perform detailed cleaning of assigned areas of the facility to include: dusting, vacuuming, dry and wet mopping, removal of trash to outside receptacles, and performs general housekeeping duties following a routine cleaning checklist using chemicals and tools provided.
6. Assist in routine maintenance and small repairs as directed.
7. Maintain records and forms associated with performance of duties as required.
8. Participate in daily cleaning and project cleaning as required (tile, rug and wood floor maintenance/cleaning).
9. Follows mandated abuse reporting requirements.
10. Promote and participate in YMCA fundraising efforts to include Annual Support and United Way Campaigns.
11. Follow department Association standards.
12. Attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
13. Wear staff uniform and name tag, or professional attire when appropriate.
14. Act as a leader in emergency situations. Report any accidents or incidents according to Emergency Communication Action Plan.
15. Ensure all members, guests, and program participants are in a safe environment and actively follow center Emergency Operations Plan (EOP).
16. Carry out other related duties as deemed necessary by the Facility department and center operations to ensure an excellent member experience.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Engaging Community, Communication & Influence, Inclusion, Collaboration, Functional Expertise
Skills and Abilities Requirements:
1. Sufficient physical strength and agility to carry out principal activities.
2. Ability to erect and stand on ladders and platforms at heights up to 30 feet.
3. Ability to work with paint, cleaning equipment, chemical compounds, solvents, cleaners, and solutions in dry, liquid, powder, spray, and aerosol forms.
4. Ability to paint, clean equipment, and operate motorized equipment as needed.
5. Ability to work in conditions that will create dirt and dust.
6. Ability to routinely lift up to 25 pounds and must occasionally lift or move up to 40 pounds.
7. Ability to perform essential maintenance to facility or equipment which may involve, but not limited to the following activities: semi – reaching to full-reach overhead; crouching; kneeling; shoveling; carrying, working in narrow and/or confining spaces: underground, overhead, and at ground level; twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs; and lying on stomach and/or back.
Effect on End Results:
1. The membership growth and retention plan for the center is achieved.
2. A high degree of member satisfaction is achieved as measured by Net Promoters.
3. A positive image of the YMCA is portrayed to members, staff, volunteers and the community.
4. A pleasant and comfortable working environment is maintained for all staff.
5. Relationships are strengthened through intentional interactions.
6. The facility will be safe, clean and an enjoyable place as measured by Q Checks and Risk Management Audits.
7. Superior quality standards are met as evidenced by department’s Association Audit Score.
Excellent benefits, including 12% retirement upon meeting the requirements of the National YMCA Retirement Fund. Includes YMCA Adult Membership.
- Job Family Property
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $11.00
- Max Hiring Rate $13.75
- Tom & Ann Hunnicutt YMCA, 7827 Warwick Boulevard, Newport News, Virginia, United States of America