Environmental Health & Safety Leader
Environmental Health & Safety Leader
This vital staff position, reporting to the Distribution Operations Vice President and the Patch Rubber Company General Manager, leads the Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S), activities of Patch Rubber and the Weldon, NC location.
This role establishes and maintains an environmental health and safety program that meets or exceeds all regulatory requirements and ensures a safe work environment. Provides effective leadership to drive towards a zero-injury culture utilizing a behavior-based approach.
The position deploys site-level EH&S objectives, strategies, policies and metrics consistent and aligned with Myers Industries overall goals and objectives.
The position also assures that appropriate investigations, documentation and software systems are updated in a timely manner in support of the environmental control and personnel safety systems.
This includes achieving production, delivery, cost, safety, quality and organizational effectiveness goals for the plant site and corporation.
- Develop and implement systems and procedures to ensure that plant operations are in compliance with OSHA and corporate environmental, health & safety (EH&S) standards and policies.
- Develop and implement site EH&S strategies consistent with corporate long-term plan initiatives.
- Manage the site EH&S budget, identify, communicate supply chain cost management and Myers plant financial improvement opportunities.
- Assist in ensuring compliance to all regulatory standards and plant safety policies and procedures.
- Aids plant manager in facilitating all third party, regulatory, and customer required audits.
- Identify and address operational and product EH&S issues and improvement opportunities. This includes taking corrective actions and implementing preventative measures.
- Manages plant self-inspection program, documents and assigns corrective actions accordingly.
- Utilizes formal safety inspections and surveys to identify risks and opportunities.
- Participate in plant behavioral safety observations as well as document and trend plant results.
- Initiates Root Cause Analysis (RCAs) related to environmental control and employee safety.
- Works cross-functionally with other department heads to complete investigations, RCAs, corrective actions, and other problem solving as needed.
- Lead site safety review activities for new product and process introductions. Includes project management and management of change processes to ensure successful, safe introductions at plant site.
- Lead ergonomic assessments of equipment and workstations.
- Participate in the management of change process for new or modified equipment/processes and in the assessment.
- Manages facility workplace safety employee training program:
- Develop and deliver safety training presentations and training for hourly and salaried.
- Manage and lead EH&S orientation program for new and temporary associates.
- Manages the site’s hazardous and non-hazardous waste programs.
- Works directly with chemical suppliers to maintain current list of all processing, maintenance and janitorial chemicals, SDSs, and chemical usage training documentation.
- Ensure robust personal protective equipment program including equipment selection, requirements, proper use, maintenance and storage.
- Develop leading indicators for safety performance and lead efforts to improve these key performance indicators.
- Review and analyze safety related data for trends and identify opportunities to initiate corrective actions.
- Maintain annual safety improvement plan and action items focused on achievement of the plan.
- Maintain data associated with EH&S Department and Plant EH&S initiatives.
- Complete plant EH&S reports on prescribed frequency.
- Assist in workers compensation claim management and return to work programs.
- Stays current on regulations and industry standards as it relates to environmental control and occupational health and safety.
- Associates or bachelor’s degree; required
- Three years management experience; required
- Good interpersonal and conflict resolution skills; required
- Possess strong leadership and managerial skills; required
- Proficient computer skills and an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office; required
- Lean Manufacturing experience; preferred
- Job Function Operations
- Pay Type Salary
- Weldon, NC 27890, USA