General Surgery-Surgery Scheduler-FT
Surgery Scheduler Job Description and Responsibilities
Policy Description and Purpose: Managing patient care involves a team of clinical and nonclinical staff interacting with patients and working to achieve patient-centered care. Job descriptions and responsibilities of the care team emphasize a team-based approach to patient care and promote training of team members to meet the highest level of function allowed by state law.
Procedure: The job description and responsibilities are defined for Surgery Scheduler in the OB/GYN department at Murfreesboro Medical Clinic below:
General Surgery Department Surgery Scheduler
The surgery scheduler will provide clerical support in the Murfreesboro Medical Clinic General Surgery Department, adhere to all policies and procedures of MMC, and meet the needs of patients in a teamwork approach.
Work is performed in an office setting and involves frequent telephone contact, as well as face-to-face communication with patients. Interactions with others in constant and interruptive. There is possible exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, bodily fluids, and other conditions common to medical practice. Varied activities including walking, bending, reaching, lifting (up to 30 pounds), stooping, assisting patients and sitting for extended periods of time may occur. Also, occasional stress from multiple responsibilities.
· Represent MMC in a courteous and professional manner
· Greet guests and incoming calls in a polite, prompt, and helpful manner
· Take accurate messages which include all required information
· Process voicemails
· Be at your workstation on time and prepared to start the day
· Be flexible when asked to stay past your scheduled work time (as needed) to accommodate the needs of patients
· Obtain accurate demographic and insurance information form patients to ensure accurate billing and maximum reimbursement
· Provide prompt, efficient, and accurate patient service
· Meet or exceed patient, doctor, and staff expectations through a cooperative, teamwork approach
· Keep your work area and the clinic clean.
· Be knowledgeable of and adhere to all HIPAA and OSHA guidelines.
· Be knowledgeable of and adhere to all MMC policies and procedures.
· Have knowledge of medical terminology
· Excellent customer service skills
· Strong skills in communicating effectively with co-workers, providers, and patients
· Ability to conduct daily functions in an appropriate, professional, and compassionate manner
· Teamwork attitude
· Flexibility to respond to changing demands
· Ability to react calmly and competently in stressful situations
· Effectively utilize computer systems and programs that are necessary to complete daily tasks
· Schedule, coordinate and reschedule patient appointments as instructed.
· Responsible for scheduling all surgery patients for surgery, pre-op and post-op appointments.
· Review surgical paperwork with patient and have patient sign necessary documents.
· Call insurance to verify benefits and obtain prior authorization and pre-certifications when necessary.
· Maintain the providers’ surgery schedules.
· This position is cross-trained to cover reception whenever needed.
· Ability to provide good telephone etiquette and be able to communicate surgery details/instructions when scheduling surgery in office and over the phone.
- High school diploma or GED
-Experience preferred in medical terminology, CPT & ICD-10 codes
MMC Vision, Mission, and Values
Our vision is to be a leading contributor to community health through participation in programs that promote wellness, facilitate diagnosis, and enhance treatment of disease.
Our mission is to foster continuous improvement in community health through the delivery of quality, accessible medical and surgical care in a cost-effective manner to the residents of Middle Tennessee.
Our values guide our actions as we strive to carry out our mission.
- A progressive approach to advances in medicine and changes in the health care delivery system
- Responsive to patient and community needs
- Collaborative with other physicians, hospitals, allied health providers and the community in improving health care
- Professional, ethical and socially responsible
- Team-oriented management and leadership
- A positive, open and responsive work setting
*This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. It is not intended to serve, as an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, and responsibilities required of personnel so classified. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Main Campus - 1272 Garrison Drive, 1272 Garrison Drive, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States of America