Emergency Medical Technician - EMT (PT Hourly)
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, House of Corrections, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
Office of Emergency Management
Hourly Rate: $19.81 - $22.17
Posting will remain open until all open positions are filled
The CORE (Community Oriented Regional EMS) Team is a mission-based organization with contracted EMS providers throughout the county.
Job Summary: We are seeking approximately twenty (20) part-time Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) to work in concert with advanced life support providers to triage and provide medical care at contracted community events. This will be a be 200 hours per year position, depending on events which are occurring. Expected availability for this position will be days, evenings, and occasional nights. This equates to approximately two 8-hour shifts a month.
- Immediately respond to requests for service when notified of an event requiring medical assessment and treatment.
- Thoroughly document the entire patient encounter consistent with expectations of Milwaukee County OEM-EMS. Accurate documentation is essential to record events, provide information for CQIP, and to provide information on risk assessments to the venues we serve.
- Complete annual LMS training as required by the county and the Office of EMS. Complete in-house training or specialized training sessions as mandated by the EMS Division.
- Work with EMS Supervisor to assess risks of events and prepare equipment accordingly. Follow direction of EMS Supervisor for staffing positions to provide optimal coverage for the event. Complete inventory lists and ensure equipment is functioning/stocked appropriately.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Minimum REQUIRED Qualifications
- This position requires you to have completed the vaccination against COVID-19 and provide proof of a completed vaccination as a condition of employment or submit a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request form.
- Resident of the United States of America
- Valid driver's license, which must be maintained throughout employment
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required
- State of Wisconsin EMT/Paramedic certification REQUIRED at time of application
- CPR certification required at time of application
- At least one (1) year of experience working in Paramedicine and/or Emergency Medical Services role
- Experienced in the use of emergency medical equipment (e.g. AED, Cardiac Monitor Defibrillator, radios)
- Basic experience with the use of personal computers
- Able to lift/carry/push/pull up to 100 pounds on a regular basis
- Ability to make informed/independent decisions quickly
- Support Milwaukee County missions with a focus on health equity
- Thorough understanding of incident command structure and functions
- ICS 100, 200, 700 and 800 certifications within 6 months of start date
- On the National Paramedic Registry (NREMT) is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of basic Emergency Medical Terminology; knowledge of common emergency medical services forms and reports; skilled at analysis/reasoning, communication/interpretation, math/mental computation, reading, sustained mental activity (i.e. auditing, problem solving, composing reports). Ability to maintain sensitive or confidential information, explain and gather information, answer queries, or aid internal and/or external contacts. Ability to read, write and comprehend simple instructions, reports, short correspondence and memos.
Note: This application is open to permanent residents of the United States. Appointee must establish residency in the State of Wisconsin within six months of start date and maintain such residency during employment. In accordance with Rule III Section 12 of the Civil Service Rules a non-competitive examination will be held for this position.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Effective October 1, 2021, Milwaukee County will require all employees to have completed COVID-19 vaccinations and provide proof of vaccination or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request. All persons offered a position will be required to provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination at time of hire or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request and been approved for an accommodation prior to hire.
- Job Family 3 - Public Welfare
- Job Function 2 Professionals
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $19.81
- Max Hiring Rate $22.17
- Required Education Certification
- Milwaukee, WI, USA