Highway Maintenance Worker II
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, House of Corrections, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
Close date: Open until filled
$21.46 - $24.84 - Hourly
Job Summary: Under supervision able to perform unskilled or semi-skilled construction related labor in highway maintenance division on State, County and Interstate Highways.
- To operate various forms of construction equipment including but not limited to, dual axel and tandem axel dump trucks, milling machines, front end loaders, vac-alls, roller compactor, anti-icing units, sewer jetter, tar kettle, various mower sand bucket trucks. To check lights, fluids and overall vehicle condition; to wash vehicles; to maintain flail mowers, vac-alls, tar kettles, arrow boards, road work signs, and hand tools.
- Apply chemicals, anti-ice, salting, snow plowing using dual axel or tandem axel trucks, front end loaders and rubber tire skidsters, winter road patrolling, and snow fence installation.
- To mill and air hammer asphalt for prep and replacement; to remove concrete slabs, for prep and replacement; to perform pothole repair, shoulder repair and maintenance; and to use other construction related equipment.
- To mow grass on Interstate, State, and County trunk Highways and Right of Way; median mowing and trimming, with various mowers; cut and chip trees along state and county roads and interstates; to clean culverts and ditches of debris to ensure proper water flow; to maintain gas trimmers and chainsaws.
- To sign and cone for lane and road closures on interstate, State and County Trunk Highways in accordance with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
- To repair guard rail barrier walls, tau systems, smart cushion, attenuator barrels, and fence repair.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by upper management.
- Current resident of the State of Wisconsin
- High school diploma or G.E.D is required
- Valid Commercial Wisconsin Driver License and (CDL) with Class “B” with no airbrake restriction at the time of application and maintained during employment
- Ability to lift, push, pull and carry up to 60lbs.
- Construction experience preferred.
- Previous experience driving CDL rated vehicles is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of the techniques, methods, materials and equipment used in maintenance and improvement of highways and roads; knowledge of public safety rules and regulations; knowledge and familiarity with the maintenance and lubrication and minor repair of a wide variety of vehicles, machinery and equipment; ability to operate a wide variety of vehicle and other equipment used in snow removal and in the improvement and maintenance of grounds and roads; ability to use hand tools of the trade; ability to follow both oral and written instructions; ability to work in adverse weather conditions; and ability to work effectively and harmoniously with staff, the public and others. Ability to lift, carry, push and pull up to 60 lbs.
Note: This Original Examination is open to current residents of the state of Wisconsin. In accordance with Rule III section 11 of the Civil Service Rules a non-competitive examination will be held for this position. The non-competitive examination will consist of a review of candidate materials, education and related experience.
Milwaukee County offers a comprehensive blend of benefits designed to make your life better both inside and outside of the workplace. Milwaukee County conducts job related criminal background checks and pre-employment screenings.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Effective October 1, 2021, Milwaukee County will require all employees to have completed COVID-19 vaccinations and provide proof of vaccination or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request. All persons offered a position will be required to provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination at time of hire or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request and been approved for an accommodation prior to hire.
- Job Family 2 - Streets and Highways
- Job Function 8 Service-Maintenance
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $21.46
- Max Hiring Rate $24.84
- Job Start Date Monday, October 18, 2021
- Milwaukee, WI, USA