Administrative Assistant - Airport (Security & Safety)
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, House of Corrections, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
Administrative Assistant - Airport (Security & Safety)
Hourly range: $18.56 - $23.80
Job Summary: Provide administrative support to the Director and Management of Public Safety & Security at the Airport and the functional areas reporting to the Director for Public Safety & Security. Position is responsible for completing its own ongoing assigned duties and responsibilities including administrative support needed to carry out compliance with federal regulations, security services and communications with airport tenants, stakeholder and scheduling coordination, as well as ad hoc assignments and projects that may arise from time to time. Position collaborates with and provides administrative support to areas beyond Public Safety & Security where needed based on specialization, coverage during off time, and in times of short staffing.
- Draft correspondence and reports for internal and external stakeholders, organize and file records in accordance with federal rules, handle sensitive and/or confidential personnel and security information.
- 1) Manage Director of Public Safety & Security’s calendar including scheduling of meetings within and across multiple departments and participants including prioritizing and resolving scheduling conflicts. 2) Making conference and travel arrangements for the Director Public Safety & Security and organizing, preparing and submitting expense reports upon return from travel. 3) Organizing, copying, scanning, and filing 4) Mail retrieval 5) Collecting and returning documents sent to the Director /Manager for signature 6) Track document statuses and assists with projects 7) Draft correspondence 8) Proofread documents 9) Prepare flow charts and graphs 10) Take meeting minutes. Works with sensitive and/or confidential information.
- Document, review, record, process and maintain, with department manager approval, all invoices of the Public Safety and Security Department to include complex invoices tied to federal grants and agreements which tightly govern the invoice process and document controls.
- Handle, safeguard, and control Sensitive Security Information in accordance with federal rules, protect personal identifying information in accordance with privacy laws and facilitate Open Records Requests in accordance with state and local laws, and request for CCTV.
- At the direction of the Director and/or Manager of Public Safety & Security, amend the TSA-Approved Airport Security Program. Draft correspondence of affected changes in security policies and procedures.
- 1) Maintain the main office supply stock in the administrative area. Includes developing and maintaining an inventory of types of office supplies used and reordering when minimum quantities are reached. 2) Entering and processing Office Depot/Office Max orders for multiple business units. 3) Basic troubleshooting of issues with photocopiers/fax/scanners within the Administration area and arranging for service calls from the repair vendor as needed. 4) Responsible for ordering and proofing of Business Cards and other printed materials such as permits through the House of Correction (HOC) Graphics print shop.
- Cross-train with and serve as back-ups for Administrative Assistants that support other business units within the Airport. This includes serving as a back-up in times to provide support when other Administrative Assistants are out of the office including but not limited to coverage when someone else is on vacation, leave, etc.
- Maintain an organized area for storage of hard copy records retention including signage demarcating each business unit area’s space. Updating the organizational/designation structure as needed. Coordinate and lead the annual mass shredding process for records that have reached their destruction date. This includes the notification to business units to review their records and to appropriately mark them for destruction, coordinating with Airport Maintenance to move and stage the boxes slated for destruction/shredding, coordinating competitively quoted pricing from eligible shredding vendor, and monitoring and overseeing document destruction during the mass shredding event.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Make copies, file records, process purchases, prepare travel and expenses, budget prep, meeting prep: developing agendas and departmental notices.
- Current resident of the State of Wisconsin.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- A valid state of Wisconsin driver’s license at time of hire and maintained throughout employment.
- At least one (1) year of office experience.
- Intermediate knowledge of all related computer and software applications, such as word processing and spreadsheets.
- Must undergo a criminal history background check to maintain security clearance for unescorted access to secured areas of the airport.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Exchange of basic information with internal and/or external contacts.
- Maintain sensitive or confidential information.
- Explain and gather information, answer queries, or provide assistance to internal and/or external contacts.
- Maintain a continuing working relationship that can have a significant effect on the success of the organization.
- Read, write, and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Speak effectively before both internal and/or external groups.
- Read, analyze, and interpret safety rules, operating/maintenance instructions and procedure manuals, scientific/technical journals and procedures, government regulations, financial and legal documents.
- Makes minimal decision-making responsibility.
Note: This Original Examination is open to current residents of the state of Wisconsin. The selection process will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods.
Milwaukee County offers a comprehensive blend of benefits designed to make your life better both inside and outside of the workplace. Milwaukee County conducts job related criminal background checks and pre-employment screenings.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Effective October 1, 2021, Milwaukee County will require all employees to have completed COVID-19 vaccinations and provide proof of vaccination or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request. All persons offered a position will be required to provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination at time of hire or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request and been approved for an accommodation prior to hire.
- Job Family 3 - Public Welfare
- Job Function 6 Administrative Support
- Pay Type Hourly
- Milwaukee, WI, USA