Director, Recreation & Business Services (Parks)
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, House of Corrections, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
Director, Recreation & Business Services
Salary Range: $87,630.40 - $129,812.80/yr
Parks Equity Statement: Milwaukee County Parks is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse work force that is demographically and racially representative of Milwaukee County residents. Milwaukee County Parks leadership is committed to honoring diverse experiences, perspectives, and unique identities, while fostering work environments that are inclusive, equitable, and welcoming.
Provides oversight, direction and management of the Recreation and Business Services functions of the Milwaukee County Parks system to include horticulture (Mitchell Park Domes, Boerner Botanical Gardens, and the Wehr Nature Center), McKinley Marina, aquatics, recreation, concessions, golf clubhouse management, public services, special events and organized sports. Responsible for the development and implementation of core service analyses, business plans, needs assessments, capital improvement plans and performance metrics. Provide leadership to a department of over 260 staff, 157 parks, and a $21 million budget.
- Recreation Program Administration - Provide oversight and direction of the recreation services division; ensure programs are meeting the needs of the public through community outreach; ensure effective customer service and revenue generation; assist with contract monitoring and administration.
- Clubhouse and Concession Program Administration - Provide oversight and direction for the implementation of the golf clubhouse and concessions operation; maximize revenues through innovation; ensure quality and effective customer service.
- Public Services, Special Events and Organized Sports Administration - Provide oversight and direction of the public services, special events, and organized sports; advise on the implementation of new programming and league development for various sports; ensure quality and effective customer service and revenue generation.
- Horticultural Administration - Provide oversight and direction of the Horticulture section which is comprised of the Mitchell Park Domes, Boerner Botanical Gardens, and the Wehr Nature Center; ensure the implementation of educational programs; ensure quality, effective customer service and revenue generation.
- Aquatics Administration - Provide oversight and direction for aquatics programming and facilities to ensure safety and quality and maintain State-certified Lifeguard training program.
- McKinley Marina Operations - Provide oversight and direction with the implementation of the regional marina facility; ensure Clean Marina standards are implemented; ensure effective customer service and revenue generation.
- Budget Management - Prepare, implement, and monitor division’s annual budget; identify funding needs for operations; develop and approve budget allocations for sections within the division.
- Personnel Management - Recommend hiring of Recreation division staff, provide guidance and direction for job assignments; provide performance appraisals and workforce development opportunities; establish priorities to ensure the success of the division and Parks’ overall strategies.
- Policy and Planning - Responsible for administration of the department-wide initiatives including strategic planning, accreditation and needs assessments for division business plans, performance measures, goals and objectives and core service analyses. Establish procedures that meet policy objectives.
- Special Assignments and Projects - Participate on special project teams; community outreach efforts; marketing and communication efforts.
- Ability to properly or safely operate: vehicles, computers and standard office equipment.
- Ability to push, pull, carry and lift up to 20 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, License/Certification and Experience
- Valid Driver’s License required and must be maintained throughout employment
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Parks & Recreation Administration, Public Administration, Business Management or closely related field required
- Three (3) years or more work experience in Park Operations, Recreation Programming/Administration or Business Operations required
- Three (3) years or more work experience in a Supervisory, Management or Director role required
- Basic knowledge of all related computer and software applications such as Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel required
Note: This unclassified position is open to all qualified applicants authorized to work in the United States. The incumbent must establish residency in Wisconsin within six (6) months of appointment and maintain such residency throughout their incumbency.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Effective October 1, 2021, Milwaukee County will require all employees to have completed COVID-19 vaccinations and provide proof of vaccination or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request. All persons offered a position will be required to provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination at time of hire or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request and been approved for an accommodation prior to hire.
- Job Family 6 - Natural Resources/Parks and Recreation
- Job Function 1 Officials and Administrators
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Milwaukee, WI, USA