Stores Clerk 1 - Sheriff
Interested in joining Milwaukee County? Milwaukee County is searching for authentic people who are out to change the game and bring their whole selves to work every day.
Milwaukee County oversees operations from our Airport, Behavioral Health, Child Support Enforcement, Combined Court Operations, Sheriffs Department, House of Corrections, Human Services, Parks, Public Safety, Public Works, Fleet Operations, Transportation, and at the Zoo. Our departments are also dedicated to our Seniors in the Department on Aging, those with Disabilities, and Veterans Affairs. Our employees also remain committed to serve the cultural, human, recreational and social needs of the entire community.
Milwaukee County offers a wide variety of interesting jobs for people who want to make a difference in our community. Milwaukee County provides a competitive benefit package and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If disability related accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Come and join our team and discover our diverse and versatile community of independent spirits and unique talents, we are redefining the way you think about Milwaukee County!
Closing Date: June 1, 2022 or upon the receipt of 50 application submissions.
Stores Clerk 1
Department: Office of the Sheriff
Assists with the handling of authorized property in Phoenix Corrections Management Software (CMS) for inmates in custody at the Milwaukee County Jail and for safekeeping property so that it can be returned to an inmate upon release. Assists the public and law enforcement with questions and information regarding an inmate’s property. Communications may be in person or via telephone.
Scheduling: This position will work on 2nd shift from 2:30pm-10:30pm, including weekends, holidays and mandatory overtime as required.
- Changeover Clothing Inventory - Inmates are brought to the changeover window to receive jail clothing. The Correctional Officer completes an inventory form identifying the clothing inmates are wearing. The Property Clerk enters items from the form into CMS and assigns a location. The clothing is then placed in an assigned bag and location.
- Stores Inmate Property During Booking/Search Process - Bags of inventoried property are taken from inmates in search, then transferred and placed on property room booking shelves until the inmate is changed over into jail clothing. This usually includes the following: excess clothing, shoes, sealed bags, and any other allowable personal items.
- Pull Inmate Property - Pull property from assigned location for inmates transferred to another facility (i.e., House of Correction, Milwaukee Secure Detention Facility) or when inmates are released from custody.
- Release Inmate Property – At the time the inmate is released from custody, upon receipt of the completed Property Release form, release inmate property to the individual identified as the designee. The designee must present a valid photo ID. Release property to law enforcement officers when presented with a search warrant.
- Customer Service - Answer telephones and respond to inquires from the public or other law enforcement agencies regarding the release of inmate property.
- Audit Property Inventory - Audit inmate property bags on shelves, conveyors or CMS data entries. Record any discrepancies and update data in CMS.
- Jury Clothing - Receive jury clothing from security staff and log items into CMS. Pull jury clothing for inmates going to court and return jury clothing back into inmate's property log.
- Biohazard Property Bags - Move biohazard property bags from temporary holding bin to destruction bin if biohazard bag has not been released after the 24-hour holding period. Update CMS property tab to property disposal.
- Ability to safely and properly operate: conveyors, general office equipment, phones, computers, copiers, printers, fax machines, and scanners.
- Ability to lift, carry, push and pull up to 15 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, License/Certification and Experience
- Current residency in the State of Wisconsin required
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Two (2) years or more clerical work experience required
- Two (2) years or more customer service work experience required
- Previous data entry work experience preferred
- Electronic file maintenance work experience preferred
- Previous experience working for a government or law enforcement agency preferred
Note: This Original Examination is open to current residents of the State of Wisconsin. The selection process will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods.
Milwaukee County is committed to fostering an equitable working environment, free from discrimination and harassment, on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. We prohibit any form of discrimination, harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, pregnancy related condition, national origin, age, disability, FMLA status, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, or any other category or status that is now or in the future protected by federal, state, and local law. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing, background checks and pre-employment physicals subject to job requirements. If special accommodations are needed, please contact 414-278-3936.
Effective October 1, 2021, Milwaukee County will require all employees to have completed COVID-19 vaccinations and provide proof of vaccination or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request. All persons offered a position will be required to provide proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination at time of hire or have submitted a completed medical or religious exemption and accommodation request and been approved for an accommodation prior to hire.
- Job Family 11- Corrections
- Job Function 6 Administrative Support
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $17.45
- Max Hiring Rate $19.65
- Required Education High School
- 821 W State St, Milwaukee, WI 53233, USA