Assistant Receiving Clerk
Responsible for the delivery of goods received, the detection of damaged or defective goods, the preparation and distribution of receiving reports, and the prompt transmittal of goods received to the proper recipient. Completes special projects as directed by management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Examine shipments for damage; unpacks incoming shipments; verifies specifications on packing slip; examines shipments for damage; matches packing slip with original purchase order; delivers packages to proper recipients; tracks receiving information on computer system; completes process for returning goods which are damaged or unwanted; professionally communicate with buyers and suppliers; disseminates information to appropriate Institute personnel regarding receiving procedures and/or requests.
- Maintains good security habits at receiving doors. When necessary, assists in loading and unloading trucks which may involve operating a pallet jack or dolly.
- Assists in the relocation of capital equipment; performs special deliveries and errands as directed by management.
- Performs special projects as requested.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and independently on some assigned tasks is necessary.
- Be knowledgeable of special packages requirements including dangerous goods for IATA transportation.
0-2 years prior experience in shipping and receiving, or similar position preferred. High School diploma required. Must have computer skills and be familiar with MS Office. Possess a Valid California driver’s license and daily access to own vehicle is required for ability to run errands for the Institute. Must meet and maintain the driving standards as described by the Institute’s policy and procedure manual. Flexibility, initiative, and teamwork skills are a plus. Knowledge of the Institute office routine and understanding of Institute’s policies and procedures are helpful.
- Must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs.
- Must be able to lift and carry 25 lbs. easily
- Must be able to use and work on step stool/ladder
- Must have manual dexterity in both hands
- Must be able to bend down and/or stoop repeatedly throughout the workday
- Must be able to push and pull carts that could weigh 300lbs.
- Must be able to open doors and pull loaded supply carts through.
With over 20 different countries represented, diversity is respected and celebrated at LJI. We are committed to ensuring a safe and compassionate environment that is equal, just, and fair. Science and discovery benefit from a diversity of talents, a diversity of approaches, and a diversity of perspectives. The La Jolla Institute’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Initiative is designed to help us identify areas at the Institute that need improvement so we can together create an environment that is inclusive, provides equal opportunities, and opens doors that propel our research for human health.
- Job Function GA
- Pay Type Salary
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA