The Advancement Officer (AO) primary responsibility is major gift prospecting and fundraising to support the research of La Jolla Institute. This person will frequently interact with Board Members, donors and top prospects on the Institute’s behalf, this position requires an advancement professional with experience working with this constituency. This person would also interact and work with faculty to identify needs for philanthropic support, and to coordinate meetings between them and prospects and donors. This person will work closely with all members of the Advancement Team to execute prospecting, fundraising and stewardship strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Establishes and expands relationships with local and national individual donors and prospective donors with the goal of raising philanthropic support; cultivates identified prospects through tours, meetings, discussions, communications and other experiences that facilitate prospects towards gifts
- Develops and maintains a personal portfolio of donors and solicits them for gifts (typically valued at $25,000+)
- When appropriate, writes grant proposals and prepares budgets for foundation grants
- Proactive in identifying and qualifying new leads for portfolio and developing strategies for acquiring and upgrading donors
- Manages portfolio of contacts, accounts, opportunities and activities in Salesforce database
- May manage strategy and execution of salon events related to fundraising efforts with the support of the ESO
- Responsible for stewardship of portfolio (i.e. personal stewardship, report writing, etc.) and works with ASC and ESO as needed for support
- Works with DDOA and CAO to develop stewardship cohesive stewardship strategies across the department
Events and Outreach:
- Develops relationships with partner organizations who can help advance our organization or feed major donor pipeline
- As requested, provides advance research on all portfolio prospects coming to events and works with DDOA and CAO on strategy
- Attends all LJI public events (i.e. Life Without Disease) as well as Board dinners/meetings and donor and prospect events (i.e. salon events)
- In addition, the AO shall:
- Represent the Department internally as assigned
- Represent LJI externally as assigned
- Other duties as designated by the DDOA
- Minimum five years of experience with major gift fundraising.
- Acute knowledge of the principles of external fundraising in basic biomedical research, donor relations, capital campaigns, and of a non-profit research institution’s organization, structure, and function.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain absolute confidentiality and high levels of sensitivity.
- Specific experience working on a large fundraising campaign and managing campaign committees is preferred.
- Superior skill at clearly communicating information to a variety of people in formal written form, emails, in person, and by phone. Proven ability to interact effectively with diverse constituencies.
- Demonstrated experience and the ability to interact in a positive and effective manner with diverse clientele, including donors, Board members, senior management, faculty, and other staff using a high degree of tact, diplomacy, and discretion, with an emphasis on flexibility and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize competing work and deadlines, while still producing highly accurate work.
- Prior experience with a Donor CRM required, Salesforce preferred.
- BA/BS degree required.
With over 20 different countries represented, diversity is respected and celebrated at LJI. We are committed to ensuring a safe and compassionate environment that is equal, just, and fair. Science and discovery benefit from a diversity of talents, a diversity of approaches, and a diversity of perspectives. The La Jolla Institute’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Initiative is designed to help us identify areas at the Institute that need improvement so we can together create an environment that is inclusive, provides equal opportunities, and opens doors that propel our research for human health.
- Job Function GA
- Pay Type Salary
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA