Under the supervision and direction of the EH&S Manager the EH&S Coordinator assists with administrative and technical duties for EH&S programs within the Institute. This includes database management, record keeping, filing, scheduling for various EH&S programs, and technical duties including medical waste management and facility/equipment inspections.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The EH&S Coordinator will be responsible for the following duties:
● Coordinate training sessions. Scheduling, arranging, record keeping on regular basis.
● Assist with the development and presentation of training sessions.
● Schedule, organize and set up various Institutional safety and compliance meetings, take minutes.
● Assist with updating of SOPs and other departmental documents.
● Medical Surveillance program coordination.
● Communicate with Occupational Health to monitor injury cases, worker statuses.
● Coordinate with HR involving WC incident cases.
● Maintain materials inventories and databases.
● Assist with procurement, invoicing and budgeting.
● Institutional compliance committee administrative support.
● Maintaining confidential employee files.
● Filing and maintenance of various items - including training records, medical surveillance, certifications, permits, fees, accident reports, SDS’s, chemical inventory, etc.
● Coordination of records between EH&S Office and other Institutional Departments.
● Medical waste collection and treatment.
● Hazardous waste management.
● Facility and equipment inspections and decontaminations.
● Additional technical duties as assigned.
Candidates must have:
0-2 years experience in Environmental Health & Safety field. Bachelor’s degree with scientific or environmental health background preferred. Ability to effectively organize and prioritize tasked workload. Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Computer competencies required, proficiency with database system management desired. Demonstrate good judgment, and provide excellent customer service. Ability to work with minimal supervision, and independently on assigned tasks as necessary. Requires good communication and organizational skills.
● Must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time.
● Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
● Must be able to lift and carry 25 pounds.
● Must be able to use and work on step stool/ladder.
● Must be able to bend down and/or stoop repeatedly throughout the workday.
● Must be able to open doors and pull loaded supply carts through.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants please submit the following in a single attachment:
1. A brief cover letter relating how your talents fulfill the criteria for this position
2. Your resume/CV
3. A minimum of two references (three preferred)
With over 20 different countries represented, diversity is respected and celebrated at LJI. We are committed to ensuring a safe and compassionate environment that is equal, just, and fair. Science and discovery benefit from a diversity of talents, a diversity of approaches, and a diversity of perspectives. The La Jolla Institute’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Initiative is designed to help us identify areas at the Institute that need improvement so we can together create an environment that is inclusive, provides equal opportunities, and opens doors that propel our research for human health.
- Job Function GA
- Pay Type Salary
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA