Carbon Technical Lead - RE Tech Advisors
RE Tech Advisors is a growing woman-led business that operates at the intersection of sustainability and buildings. We serve real estate and private equity investment clients with over $1 trillion under management, as well as major government agencies including the Department of Energy (DOE) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). By joining the team at RE Tech Advisors, you will work closely with industry leaders who are driving national and global sustainability trends. Our clients are on the cutting edge of sustainability and real estate management, which is exactly where you want to be to realize your own personal growth objectives.
RE Tech Advisors is currently seeking a highly motivated, experienced, and passionate Carbon Solutions Technical Lead to join our growing organization. This is an exciting opportunity to join a rapidly growing ESG advisory firm to accelerate the transition to a low-carbon future. You will join a team that is spearheading carbon reduction programs for major national and international clients in the commercial, government, real estate, private equity and manufacturing sectors. The Technical Lead will help design market-leading net zero programs, directly advise clients, and work on integrated project teams to provide technical and market expertise.
We strongly prefer the position to be based out of our headquarters office in Tysons Corner, VA; however, we will consider qualified remote candidates. RE Tech supports a hybrid work model with flexible work schedules that include a mix of in office and work from home.
Who We Are
RE Tech Advisors is a growing, woman-led business of over 80 ESG professionals. We deliver results at the intersection of engineering, technology and sustainability.RE Tech is proud to have many of the most progressive and ambitious clients including commercial real estate portfolios, private equity investors, federal agencies, and manufacturing companies. By joining the team at RE Tech Advisors, you will work closely with industry leaders who are driving national and global sustainability initiatives -- which is exactly where you want to be to realize your own professional growth objectives.
RE Tech Advisors is committed to creating a diverse work environment and proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer m/w/iwd/pv. We encourage diversity and offer inclusiveness and equal opportunities during every stage of our hiring process and in employment. We pride ourselves on the diversity and inclusiveness of our workforce. Having a diverse workforce gives us a competitive advantage that brings us a wider pool of talent and greater insight into the diverse needs of our clients. We cultivate an environment of diversity and inclusion by making individuals feel welcomed and able to do their best day in and day out.
RE Tech’s Carbon Solutions team helps clients become leaders on climate action while generating financial returns and responding to increased market demand for carbon reductions. We specialize in building innovative, tailored, turn-key decarbonization or net zero initiatives that drive measurable progress toward our clients’ ESG goals. We consult with clients in many aspects of decarbonization, including:
- Designing and managing market-leading decarbonization programs for multi-billion dollar investment portfolios and other organizations.
- Advising DOE on the design and implementation of the Better Climate Challenge and Low-Carbon Pilot, first-of-their-kind government partnership programs focused on decarbonization at the facility and organization level.
- Helping major real estate lenders incorporate environmental, social, and governance (ESG) into their lending activities.
- Creating actionable carbon footprints for some of the largest companies in the world, helping them set science-based carbon targets and identifying cost-effective pathways to decarbonization.
- Developing thought leadership, market research, and presentations at leading conferences and advising investors, lenders, and government institutions on emerging carbon issues.
The world is moving rapidly toward aggressive carbon reduction targets. However, the real challenge is in the “how.” As we like to say, the “how” is RE Tech’s specialty.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (preferably with concentration in Energy, Sustainability, Climate Change, Business, or a related field)
- At least 5 years of applicable work experience in a related field
- At least 3 years of experience in a role requiring detailed technical and market expertise on the topics of decarbonization, net zero, carbon neutrality, carbon accounting, science-based targets, or a related field.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience developing and/or advising on successful sustainability or ESG programs with a particular focus on greenhouse gas emissions reductions, preferably in commercial building portfolios or other investment portfolios
- Deep knowledge of greenhouse gas emissions and decarbonization strategies, to include some or all of the following:
- Carbon footprints—including methodologies, calculations, and guidance such as the GHG Protocol Corporate Standard
- Carbon reduction targets and disclosures—including Science-Based Targets, CDP, carbon neutrality, net zero, TCFD, SFDR, renewable energy commitments, etc.
- Decarbonization strategies—including energy efficiency, renewable energy, green power procurement, renewable energy certificates (RECs), and carbon offsets
- Passion for deploying decarbonization solutions to drive rapid adoption of clean energy and sustainable practices across the U.S. economy
- Comfort in a highly dynamic “make it up as you go along” business environment
- Experience performing and overseeing data-driven tasks in Excel and other software platforms, including some complex calculations and estimation methods
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to lead internal and client meetings focused on technical topics.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision-making capabilities
- Ability to effectively manage changing priorities in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple projects at the same time
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) to effectively review and generate reports, graphs, and presentations
Essential Job Functions:
- Design and advise multiple client carbon programs across sectors that may include commercial real estate, government, private equity, lending, and public-private partnerships
- Advise on client programs that include a range of components, including but not limited to:
- Development and execution of overall client carbon strategy
- Monitoring, tracking, and reporting on greenhouse gas emissions and property performance, including development of formal carbon footprints
- Identification and deployment of appropriate energy efficiency and sustainability measures, to include low and no cost strategies as well as CapEx projects
- Deployment of RE Tech’s Data, Engineering, and Marketing & Communications teams as appropriate
- Third party reporting, such as CDP, Science Based Targets, SFDR disclosures, and sustainability reports
- Utility data collection, benchmarking and tracking in EPA’s ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager tool, as well as client third party data management providers
- Selection and implementation of third-party software solutions for data tracking or other project management functions
- Identification of vendors and implementation of procurement strategy for renewable energy, green power, RECs, offsets, and other decarbonization products
- Engage with clients as a technical advisor and consultant. Help clients cut through the complexity of decarbonization, providing actionable insights while building client trust. May include leading committees or working groups on carbon topics.
- Help design, structure, implement, and communicate major federal initiatives around decarbonization including the DOE Low Carbon Pilot and Better Climate Challenge.
- Help lead project teams as a technical advisor in consultation with the project manager. Function well when working in interdisciplinary teams that include technical and non-technical staff.
- Serve as lead subject matter expert (SME) on key topics within decarbonization. “Own” the development of RE Tech’s capabilities in these areas and help the company take positions on critical issues to better advise our clients (e.g., How should net zero be defined for commercial real estate? What is the appropriate role of carbon offsets in a net zero program?)
- Cultivate technical knowledge and capabilities among Carbon Solutions and general RE Tech staff. May eventually serve as supervisor to one or more direct reports with the Carbon Solutions technical track.
- Regularly review client deliverables, ensuring the work is accurate, actionable, and consistent with best practices. Stay up to speed on emerging trends in decarbonization including targe-setting frameworks, definitions of key concepts like net zero, best practices in carbon accounting, and innovative carbon reduction strategies.
- Proactively participate in business development efforts to grow RE Tech’s Carbon Solutions practice, mainly through contributing to written proposals and interacting with clients to provide technical expertise and build relationships.
- Provide insight and thought leadership on decarbonization trends and best practices to the broader market—to include potential publication, public speaking, conference presentation, and other opportunities
- Help shape the trajectory of RE Tech’s Carbon Solutions practice—one of the fastest-growing areas of our business—with lots of opportunities to grow as a leader, expert, and mentor. This includes helping to standardize and streamline key offerings to improve efficiency and enable greater impact at scale and speed.
- Perform all other duties as needed and assigned
Optional but Beneficial Skills:
- Experience with energy efficiency and clean energy project finance methods such as PACE, energy-as-a-service, power purchase agreements, solar tax equity, etc.
- Experience in or knowledge of the real estate, private equity, investment, finance, or manufacturing sectors
- Experience in public-private partnerships or other government programs
- Knowledge of ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager or other energy/emissions data tracking platforms
- Knowledge of supply chain sustainability and lifecycle assessment
- Passion for building amazing tools in Microsoft Excel
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at a time.
As a federal government contractor, we must follow the federal COVID-19 vaccine requirements. As such, all RE Tech employees must be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment, unless a medical or religious exemption is approved by RE Tech.
In compliance with Federal law and the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) 22.1800, the selected candidate will be required to provide documentation that will verify their identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Health and Welfare
- Prescription drug
- Employee assistance program
- Paid vacation
- Company-paid holidays
- Bereavement leave
- Jury duty
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Company-paid long-term disability insurance
- AD&D insurance
- Life insurance
- environmental, social and governance (“ESG”) strategic advisory services
- consulting engineering, with a focus on high performance, sustainable design
- construction of energy efficiency, MEP, and renewable generation projects
- alternative delivery solutions such as performance contracting and Energy-as-a-Service (“EaaS”)
- Pay Type Salary
- Falls Church, VA, USA