Staff Photographers are a key part to the success of the newsroom in producing a complete news report. Photographers use photos and video to complete visual reports on people, news, sports, lifestyle, entertainment and business. They will also work on a series of in-depth projects and reoccurring photo and video features. The Staff Photographers at the Tulsa World are essential in its mission to inform and inspire its community with important and relevant journalism.
Essential Job Functions
- Work to be in the right position to produce intimate, emotionally appealing and graphically appealing photographs and video.
- Do the reporting and take the time necessary to give our community a unique perspective on a story.
- Develop and maintain professional judgment in the process capturing of videos and photographs.
- Represent the Tulsa World in a professional and courteous manner, and always project a professional image in the community.
- Show up to assignments on time to know what is happening and what needs to happen so you are ready to over deliver.
- Look for opportunities for video/multimedia and whenever possible report in those ways, too.
- File photos not only for the assignment for print but also enough photos for expanded tulsaworld.com coverage, the Tulsa World archive and for future use.
- Work with reporters to help gather information to best tell the story.
- File images early from breaking news assignments so they can quickly appear on tulsaworld.com.
- Dress appropriately for any event that you might be sent to cover.
- Work on at least one recurring project that can be published online and in print on a regular basis.
- Between assignments, travel the community and take videos and photographs you come upon.
- Pitch story ideas on a regular basis to editors.
- Establish contacts in the community for stories you are working on and what could be future stories.
- Write all cutlines so they are accurate and detailed with proper spellings that follow AP & Tulsa World style.
- Be mindful of changes in technology and style and how they can be used in your reporting and photography.
- Seek out new opportunities for education and growth in journalism, photojournalism and social media trends.
- Share photos, links to galleries and links to related stories on professional social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram on every major assignment to promote your work and the Tulsa World.
- Maintain and engage with those who interact with your work on social media.
- Read the Tulsa World and other news sources to stay in the know on stories, trends and opportunities for future stories.
Education and Experience
- Must possess a Bachelor's degree, preferably in photography/journalism, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in photojournalism.
- Must have good computer skills and experience in effective social media use.
- Job Family News
- Pay Type Hourly
- Tulsa, OK, USA