East Moline, IL, USA ● Virtual Req #15897
Thursday, February 24, 2022
TownNews, a Division of Lee Enterprises; an industry leader in digital media solutions for news and broadcast. We are searching for an experienced Technical Writer to join our team and help take our internal and external facing documentation of services and processes to new heights. As an ideal candidate, you have experience in a highly technical field, such as software development, computer science or engineering. Your ability to evaluate and analyze complex information is second to none, and you have a natural desire to help people understand that are hard to understand.
Objectives of this Role
• Develop comprehensive documentation that meets organizational standards
• Obtain a deep understanding of products and services to translate complex product information into simple, polished, and engaging content
• Write user-friendly content that meets the needs of the target audience, turning insights language that sets our users up for success
• Develop and organize internal and external repository of reference material
• Evaluate current content and develop innovative approaches for improvement
Daily and Monthly Responsibilities
• Research, outline, write, and edit new and existing content, working closely with various departments to understand project requirements
• Independently gather information from subject matter experts to develop, organize, and write procedure manuals, technical specifications, and process documentation
• Work with development and support leads to identify all documentation repositories, revise and edit, and determine the best solution for data compilation and centralized storage
• Research, create, and maintain information architecture templates that uphold organizational and legal standards, and allow for easy data migration
• Develop content in alternative media forms for maximum usability, with a consistent and cohesive voice across all documentation
Skills and Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant technical field
• 2-4 years’ industry experience as an effective technical writer
• Proven ability to quickly learn and understand complex topics
• Previous experience writing documentation and procedural materials for multiple audiences
• Superior written and verbal communication skills, with a keen eye for detail
• Experience working with engineering to improve user experience: design, UI, and help refine content and create visuals and diagrams for technical support content
• Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, with an eye for prioritization
• Firm understanding of the systems development life cycle (SDLC)
• Previous software development experience
• Certification through the Society for Technical Communicators
• Experience using XML tools to create documentation
Why Join Us?
TownNews offers competitive wages in a dynamic, interesting work environment with career growth opportunities. We offer an extensive benefit program that can be personalized to your needs. Our benefit program includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, company provided life insurance and supplemental life insurance. In addition, we offer a 401K retirement plan with company match. We also offer generous paid time off to allow the flexibility to balance personal life and work. This includes paid parental leave for new parents.
TownNews partners with local media organizations to transform their business models and flourish in the digital age. Our tools and expertise in digital, video, print, connected TV, and advertising enable forward-thinking media organizations in dynamic markets to efficiently engage their audiences, increase security and grow revenue. More than 2,000 news organizations have benefited from our platform and the tools we have built specifically for the media industry to thrive. TownNews is majority owned by Lee Enterprises.
Lee Enterprises a leading provider of high-quality local news, with 77 daily newspapers in 26 states that have print, digital and e-replica versions. Our digital sites attract more than 44 million unique visits monthly. We also have a rapidly growing roster of digital products for consumers, and are committed to aggressive digital growth.
Lee Enterprises is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We respect and celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. For more information about Lee, check us out at www.lee.net.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you are excited about this role but do not meet 100% of the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply.
- Pay Type Salary
- East Moline, IL, USA