International Transportation & Logistics Manager
BASIC PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF POSITION
The International Logistics and Transportation Manager is responsible for contract negotiation, carrier, and international freight forwarder management, defining and executing consolidation and optimization strategies, and optimizing cost and service performance. This individual will be managing, planning, and overseeing international logistics to achieve financial, operational, and strategic goals.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES: This position does the following in accordance with all applicable Federal, State, and local laws / regulations and the Company’s policies, procedures, and guidelines:
- Support the Corporate enterprise team on ocean carrier contract negotiations
- Lead collaboration between 3PL providers: freight forwarder, terminals, rail, etc.
- Define and execute international shipping optimization strategy
- Optimize service and cost performance, benchmark regularly
- Manage performance of international carriers and conduct quarterly reviews
- Regularly assess and allocate shipment strategies, steamship lines, freight forwarders
- Plan, build and manage international logistics improvement plans across functional departments and supply chains
- Pursue enterprise strategies for improving key performance indicators (KPIs) of international carriers and other international logistics intermediaries; including but not limited to compliance to allocations, on-time performance, and data accuracy
- Communicate any transportation impacts; including analysis and/or information regarding the industry and/or government (foreign and domestic) policies and regulations that may affect the company
- Establishes a process that enables information flow through all required communication channels, including updated written operating procedures, and quarterly reviews with Key Stakeholders/Sr. Management regarding International Logistics performance
- Manage peak season requirements for ports, service providers, clearance teams
- Develop reports and metrics to evaluate trends in overall costs and transit times
- Understand, develop, and manage a detailed logistics budget
- Ensure bonded carriers have current SOPs on file with contracted Brokers
- Collaborate with Data team to identify and deploy improved shipping visibility tools
- Customs brokerage oversight: duty and tax management; FTA utilization; customs filing; compliance improvement
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS, AND TRAINING:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field required.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a Freight Forwarder or global third-party logistics required
- Certifications in IATA or Customs Brokerage preferred
SKILLS AND BACKGROUND:
- Strong analytical background and skills in Excel and PowerPoint required
- Staff supervision and development experience required
- Knowledge of TMS tools (Blue Yonder etc.), BI tools and Tableau preferred
- Strong decision-making skills required:
- Creates policy and resolves problems
- Provide data for decision support
- Negotiate on behalf of management
- Provide consultation or expert advice
- Participate in planning business objectives
- Ability to represent the company in handling complaints, disputes or resolving grievances
- Ensure all processes and procedures meet Legal and Trade Compliance
Must be able to read, write and communicate in English.
EQUIPMENT OPERATION (% of time, description, nature of service):
Office equipment including computer, copier, fax, phone, printer
Typical office environment.
10% to 20% travel required.
BEHAVIORAL CHARACTERISTICS: MANAGER
The Manager is responsible to ensure that employees have been trained properly and re-trained as necessary; providing clear direction and instruction; and listening to obtain clarification of the work situation. The Manager reviews the work in the Department and provides follow-up assignments as necessary to complete tasks. Must be capable of working well under pressure while making timely decisions on a consistent basis. This position requires daily interaction with employees within the department by walking around the work area, ensuring that employees are on time and that schedules are met. The incumbent in this position performs the majority of his/her duties in a normal office environment which, at times, can be very fast paced. Limited travel by plane to Division Offices or Company-sponsored events is required. Incumbent is also required to attend meetings or specialized training, including off-site training, as necessary. This position develops and recommends cost-saving measures for the Department. Neither this summary nor the duties and responsibilities are intended to be all-inclusive, recognizing that additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as the job evolves.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conserves Department/Division and Company resources by working within approved budgets.
- Leads by example in being dependable and punctual with regular and consistent attendance.
- Responsible for interviewing, making hiring recommendations and training new employees as well as helping existing staff with work related problems and handling ongoing staff training functions.
- Mentors staff, providing ongoing training - schedules regular meetings to ensure good communication is maintained in the work group – makes tactical decisions daily to keep workflow moving forward.
- Motivates and develops subordinates using positive coaching and counseling.
- Manages stressful situations in the workplace with tact and diplomacy, exhibits patience in dealing with complaints and requests for information from employees or from outside sources.
- Monitors individual performance, prepares annual performance reviews, and conducts disciplinary counseling, as required, while seeking guidance from the Director and Human Resources as needed.
- Applies Department/Division/Company processes and procedures to ensure that unauthorized deviations are corrected immediately.
- Manages, either directly or through a subordinate Supervisor, all time, attendance and schedules to ensure that the Department is fully functioning on a daily basis and that work in the Section/Department is accurate and is completed on time – approves overtime assignments, consistent with Company policy and the law, to insure that eligible employees are properly paid for work performed.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of Company policies and procedures as set forth in the Employee Handbook and applies them fairly and equitably.
- Provides input to Director regarding annual performance evaluations and participates in any employee relations case investigations as complaints may be made or circumstances warrant.
- Develops cross-training for jobs within the Department to ensure smooth transition when employees are on ETO, FMLA or out of the office for other reasons.
- Encourages subordinates to share ideas, concerns and responds quickly and positively to their questions and concerns - sets a good, positive example to subordinates in the workplace by being tactful and treating others with respect.
- Exercises discretion and good judgment to matters affecting the Department/Division/Company - Adapts quickly to changes and maintains positive relationships within the Department/Division/Company.
Additions and changes in duties and responsibilities may be necessary from time to time for the benefit of the Department/Division/Company.
- Pay Type Salary
- Grapevine, TX, USA