Activities Assistant - PRN (As needed)
Our Mission: Pelican Valley Senior Living is committed to providing comprehensive, high quality healthcare and residential services in our community.
Pelican Valley Senior Living seeks an Activities Assistant to join our team! The position is PRN (as needed). The starting wage is $14/hour.
Pelican Valley Senior Living is a three building senior living community in Pelican Rapids, Minnesota. We have a 33 bed care center, and two distinct assisted living communities that provide enhanced assisted living services and memory care assisted living. We have been a proud member of the Pelican Rapids community for more than 65 years.
- Work closely with residents in both group activities and one-to-one contacts.
- Enable residents to engage in activity programming that enhance or maintain their quality of life.
Empower residents to develop and maintain their intellectual, physical, vocational, emotional, social and spiritual wellness by honoring resident preferences and choices that allow them to live the life they prefer.
- Work closely with care staff, volunteers, community groups and families when working with the residents.
- May occasionally leave the facility for activities and projects.
- Required to work occasional weekends and evenings, as needed.
- Promotes/Facilitates Activity Involvement - Inform residents of activities through personal invitations, correspondence, announcements, monthly calendars and daily activity boards. Keep abreast and makes appropriate changes of daily, weekly and monthly activities. Prepares room or site for the activity and requests assist with room set up or food requests from the kitchen services or housekeeping departments. Invite and transport residents to and from activities of interest. Facilitate activities in Assisted Living households. Explain, lead, direct and assist residents with activity or event. Seek and recommend new activities, resources or opportunities that will engage, challenge and motivate residents. Develop and maintain positive relationships with residents and staff that encourages trust, cooperation, inspiration and goal achievement.
- Maintains Residents Records - Record and maintain detailed attendance and progress of residents in daily programs, special events, sensory groups and one to ones.
- Understands Residents’ Abilities - Learn individual residents capabilities, limitations and restrictions. Notify department staff of changes and progress of residents. Learn and assist with goal setting in residents Plan of Care and its implementation. Develop and maintain rapport with residents.
- Conducts One-to-One Visits - Conduct one-to-one visits with residents who are unable or choose not to participate in group activities. This may include residents who are on comfort care, or have health conditions which impede their out of room activity, ore who have visual, hearing or cognitive impairments, this may include the use of sensory props, hand massage, reading, music, etc.
- Other Duties as Assigned - Participate in staff meetings, attends in-services and other work related meetings as requested. Participate in and assists with resident evacuation procedures in case of fire, disaster or other occurrences requiring the residents to be moved. Practice proper body mechanics and incorporates infection control procedures and safe practices into all job duties. Completes projects as assigned by the Activities Coordinator. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
Education and Experience Required:
Experience in healthcare and/or working with seniors strongly preferred.
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent. Post- secondary education is preferred, but not required.
- Requires the ability to work with residents whose individual interests, abilities, and personalities vary greatly.
- Strong computer skills are required and must be comfortable learning and working with new technology.
- Must have strong interpersonal and relationship skills, problem solving skills and excellent customer service skills.
- Required to demonstrate adaptability, creativity, resourcefulness and time management. Must be motivated to work efficiently and independently with a sense of urgency to solve problems.
- Be able to work independently and a self-starter.
- Experience with public speaking/performing and/or teaching helpful.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and complete and pass a state required background study.
- Able to physically perform the duties required by the position.
- Required to have the ability to read, write and speak English well enough to communicate with staff, residents and visitors.
Obtaining the COVID-19 vaccine, or a medical or religious exemption, is a requirement for this position.
In keeping with federal, state and local laws, PVSL's policy forbids employees and associates from discriminating against anyone based on race, religion, color, creed, gender, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, familial status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. PVSL is committed to establishing and maintaining a workplace free of discrimination. We are fully committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not tolerate unlawful discrimination in the recruitment, hiring, termination, promotion, salary treatment or any other condition of employment or career advancement. PVSL also provides reasonable accommodations to disabled employees and applicants as required by law.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Pelican Rapids, MN 56572, USA