Accountant, Financial Reporting
Savvas Learning Company (formerly Pearson K12 Learning) is global education company that produces award-winning learning solutions that empower educators and engage students with the highest quality content.
Recognized as an industry leader, we serve millions of K-12 learners with innovative, student-centered educational programs that turn today’s classrooms into active learning environments. By embracing technology, personalized learning, and immersive experiences delivered across multiple platforms, we design our learning solutions to be more accessible and relevant to each student.
Our comprehensive solutions for core curriculum, and supplemental and intervention programs - supported by an array of professional development services - allow teachers to use data to inform classroom practices and tailor instructions to an individual’s abilities and learning styles.
Partnering with school districts and educators, we are committed to delivering the best possible learning experiences that improve every student’s chance of success.
Savvas Learning Company is seeking a Senior Accountant, Revenue Recognition and Technical Accounting to join our growing team in the Paramus, NJ headquarters. The role involves working with Sales, Legal and Operations teams to address revenue recognition questions and will be primarily responsible for providing revenue recognition guidance and documenting accounting positions on complex contracts. It is part of the Technical Accounting group, which is responsible for providing accounting guidance and financial reporting support to the Accounting and Finance teams.
· Partner with the Sales, Legal and Revenue Operation functions to analyze and optimize contract structure under ASC 606.
· Identify and articulate complex revenue accounting issues clearly and concisely, and supervise preparation of revenue recognition documentation for external audit review.
· Responsible for the review of various accounting close entries including revenue deferral, royalties, and sales commission expense.
· Work with operating team to ensure pricing model meets companies ASC 606 policies.
· Participate in the preparation of quarterly financial statements, review, and support revenue recognition disclosures.
· Support the accounting and finance teams on various other accounting and financial reporting questions and issues.
· Liaising with external auditors, advisors, and consultants.
· Ad hoc projects and technical accounting research as needed.
· Strong technical accounting skills and exposure to revenue recognition rules under U.S. GAAP.
· Experience in researching accounting guidance and applying it to resolve complex technical issues as well as communicate conclusions to financial and non-financial personnel.
· Bachelor’s Degree and/or Master’s Degree in Accounting with CPA
· 4+ years of experience at a public company or audit experience at a Big 4 public accounting firm.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage competing priorities, and adhere to tight deadlines.
· Ability to work effectively with all levels of an organization, from clerical staff to executives, and manage relationships with external parties.
· Experience with SAP or similar enterprise level ERP systems is a plus.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Critical thinking skills with proactive problem solving
· Ability to translate complex accounting issues into simple language to explain to peers and stakeholders
This position cannot be performed in the state of Colorado.
Savvas Learning Company is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Savvas is a drug free workplace.
Savvas Learning Company provides access to a benefits experience created to offer our employees choice, flexibility, and the opportunity to save money for the future. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, tax-advantaged accounts, pharmacy, life insurance, disability insurance, matching 401(k), and paid time off. Our benefits are part of a total package that is carefully designed to support the total well-being of our employees.
- Pay Type Salary
- Paramus, NJ 07652, USA