Docketing Clerk (Part Time Opportunity)
Location: Rochester, NY (Hybrid Schedule)
Description: The docketing clerk (part-time) works under the supervision of both the firm’s Managing Clerk and Ethics and Risk Counsel in supporting litigation attorneys in various practice groups by calendaring court appearances and filing deadlines and supplying research regarding docketing, court rules, and Federal and State court civil procedure. The Docketing Clerk reviews court filings and litigation documents, calculates associated deadlines, and dockets dates as appropriate using CourtAlert, the firm-wide docketing and calendaring system. This position requires a high level of motivation, flexibility and initiative. The successful candidate must be a self-starter and exhibit a positive attitude and a willingness to help.
· Review court notifications and communications from case teams for relevant dates to be calculated, updated, and entered into CourtAlert, which distributes dates to attorney and staff calendars
· Answer and/or research questions from attorneys and staff regarding court calendaring, civil procedure, and individual judge’s rules in State and Federal cases
· Occasional travel to court(s) to file documents and attend hearings when necessary
· Monitor, analyze, and document changes in court rules
· Consult with attorneys and staff to ensure compliance with court rules and procedures, including Appellate and Bankruptcy proceedings
· Prepare and provide various calendar and case reports, as well as daily reminders of upcoming deadlines to attorneys and staff
· Review pleadings and court filings for compliance with court rules and protocols, including applicable fees, and work with case teams to correct any issues.
· Record all litigation documents in CourtAlert and calculate procedural due dates
· Monitor case progress in assigned courts, obtain decisions, orders and other relevant documents; communicate case status to responsible attorney
· Interact with all levels of court personnel
· Update and maintain database of attorney e-filing credentials
· Bachelor’s degree preferred
· 1-3+ years of experience within a law firm required; prior experience as a Docketing, Calendar, EBT Clerk or as a legal administrative assistant in litigation-focused practice area is preferred
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
· Experience utilizing MA3000, CourtAlert, eLaw or similar docketing and calendaring tools
· Must exhibit well-developed interpersonal and client relation skills
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
· Excellent organizational, analytical, and planning skills
· Must exhibit initiative and problem-solving skills
· Extreme attention to detail and accuracy
· Must be able to effectively multi-task, meet deadlines and excel in a team atmosphere
· Available to work at least 20 hours/week during normal business hours
· Experience computing deadlines for state, federal and appellate courts and in government agencies across the country; familiarity with New York Civil Practice Law & Rules (CPLR) and Federal Rules of Civil Procedure
· Knowledge of various court websites, docket searching and document retrieval databases required (i.e., PACER, E-Track/E-Courts, S.C.R.O.L.L., NYCAL, Courtlink and Lexis/Nexis, etc.)
· Willingness to work with company-wide team of experienced docketing staff to provide quality services
· Working knowledge in best practices regarding docketing, calendaring, and record-keeping, as they relate to mitigating risk in the legal environment
· Excellent client service and listening skills.
· Strong analytical skills and the ability to multi-task.
· Ability to work with diverse personalities within various levels of the organization.
· Exercises sound independent judgment under minimal direct supervision.
· Ability to manage time efficiently and work independently as well as coordinate with a team.
· Military experience welcome
Harris Beach is committed to an
inclusive environment and we welcome applications from diverse candidates.
Harris Beach PLLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Pay Type Hourly