Senior Database Engineer
eCivis is on the hunt for a self-motivated individual and fantastic communicator with experience in AWS tools for cloud-based development. This is your opportunity to be an essential member of the data team tasked with transforming a traditional SaaS enterprise data architecture into next-generation cloud-based streaming analytics and reporting platform in a fun, challenging, and fast-paced work environment.
As a Senior Data Engineer BI/ETL, you will own and lead our data platform. You will oversee our customer data platform to support our SaaS and large-scale business intelligence solutions within the state and local government space. You will be responsible for designing, developing, implementing, and supporting new and existing highly efficient, highly scalable ETL processes. You will work closely with our engineering and implementation teams to implement solutions to answer complex questions and drive business decisions. You will apply proven communication skills, problem-solving skills, and knowledge of best practices related to designing, developing, and deploying business intelligence (BI/ETL) solutions.
You will work directly with our customers to identify and meet data requirements. You own the customer-facing role to understand and facilitate delivery of their needs, educating them on our data set, data dictionary, and processes. Compiling/capturing customer data is a significant part of the role and following up by receiving client deliverables, validating the data, and providing feedback/coaching back to the client to finalize the data is a significant portion of the responsibility and benefit to our team.
- Drive Data: Architect, review, and implement database schema for ETL and BI reporting solutions in various databases, including Microsoft SQL Server, Amazon Relational Database Services for SQL Server, AWS Redshift/Postgres, and MySQL.
- Client Partner: Own the customer-facing role, capturing and compiling customer data, receiving client deliverables, validating the data, and providing feedback/coaching back to the client.
- BI Builder: Develop modern data architectural approaches for business intelligence reporting and analytics, including that for machine learning models and data science, ensuring effectiveness, scalability, and reliability.
- ETL Builder: Develop modern data architectural approaches for ETL processes, including retrieving disparate data and transforming it to work with our enterprise SaaS application for government grants management.
- Unite Data: Design, develop, implement, and optimize ETL processes that merge data from disparate sources into Microsoft SQL Server and AWS Redshift for consumption by enterprise SaaS applications.
- Quality Check: Detect data quality issues, identify their root causes, implement fixes, and design data audits to capture issues.
- Product Contributor: Distill technical requirements into the product development and operational process via continuous collaboration with customer implementation, product, and engineering team members.
- Be the MVP: Influence and communicate with all levels of stakeholders, including customers, implantation specialists, and business users.
- Secure the Base: Implement security best practices and other compliance requirements.
- Crack Codes (Proactively): Able to anticipate problems and proactively develop appropriate solutions for our Data team.
- Keep Score: Gather and build canned and ad hoc reports, and dashboards using reporting and visualization tools like Power BI and AWS QuickSight.
Here’s what we will do for YOU:
- Teach you. At eCivis, we value and reward continuous learning, offering all the resources and tools you need to get ramped up and set you up for success.
- Reward you. All of eCivis’ employees are paid competitive salaries (and we only expect an honest 40-hour work week for it). We also offer an equity plan to employees!
- Take care of you. We offer healthcare insurance, company-sponsored life and long-term disability insurance, a 401K Retirement Plan, personal time off, and maternity and paternity leave.
- Set you free. We carefully foster a work environment where employees have a safe space for creative and intellectual freedom, and the opportunity to work cross-functionally.
The Right Fit
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems, or equivalent work experience
- Hands-on experience with AWS & Quicksight building reports and dashboards
- Experience with AWS Redshift, SageMaker, PostgresSQL, MSSQL, and NoSQL.
- Advanced knowledge of database design (RDBMS & NoSQL)
- Advanced knowledge of Python
- Advanced knowledge and experience with SQL programming, including stored procedures, triggers, functions, and error trapping
- Experience with CI/CD, including CI/CD for database development
- Hands-on leadership, influence, and development of all things data services
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills capable of being client-facing to assist technical and non-technical audiences and across levels in the organization and customers; able to leverage multiple modes of communication.
- Collaborative and able to multi-task and thrive within a fully remote, team-oriented environment
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, initiative, teamwork, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing technical skills and performing problem-solving
- Scrum / Agile working environment preferred
- Proven experience developing and supporting a data warehouse
- Proven experience working with a variety of ETL tools and monitoring real-time ETL and batch ETL processes, preferably AWS Glue
- Ability to maintain all documentation on ETL / BI process and procedures
- Must be committed to incorporating security into all decisions and daily job responsibilities
Location: This role is 100% remote. Work from anywhere in the US and Canada! Candidates must be presently authorized to work in the U.S. without a requirement for work authorization sponsorship by our company for this position now or in the future.
eCivis is a fast-growing, mission-based SaaS company in the emerging Govtech market. eCivis provides the #1 SaaS/Cloud grants management and cost allocation software solution in state, local and tribal government markets. eCivis is part of GTY Technology (NASDAQ: GTYH), the leading public sector SaaS company offering a cloud-based suite of solutions for North American state and local governments.
Our company’s mission is to deliver a fully integrated cloud platform that helps state, local and tribal government agencies maximize their grant revenues, track financial and program performance, prepare cost allocation plans and budgets, stay compliant, and access free open data tools to better utilize Federal resources.
eCivis is committed to providing equal employment opportunities. All qualified applicants and employees will be considered for employment and advancement without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, age, genetic information, sexual or affectional orientation, marital status, status concerning public assistance, familial status, military or veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
- Pay Type Salary
- United States