Director, Goodwill Excel Center
DIVISION: Goodwill Excel Center
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
The Excel Center Director is responsible for leadership of one Goodwill Excel Center site, with about 25 staff, a child development center and up to 275 adult students. The Director is the school’s instructional leader ensuring instruction and curriculum are applied according to the Excel Center philosophy and that the school meets all desired outcomes. Provides a hands on and data driven leadership approach in the directing, planning, and managing of daily operations at the school facility. The position is on the senior leadership team of the Goodwill Excel Center engaging in collaborative work with the team to achieve all school goals. Additionally, the position will work with the Executive Director and key Goodwill divisions (Development, Marketing, Finance, IT, Legal, HR) in carrying out the daily operations and success of the school. The position will work with all team members in meeting the educational objectives and supporting a school culture that embraces strong “Relationships, Relevance, and Rigor” in all practices. This position is responsible and will be held accountable for behaving in accordance with school and organizational RISE values and expectations.
- Building Effective Teams
- Drive for results
- Customer focused
- Managing and measuring work
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Fosters and promotes a culture of high achievement with a focus on inclusivity of thoughts, ideas, and people and an environment of collaboration and support where creativity, innovation, and excellence are encouraged for students, co-workers, partners, stakeholders and customers.
2. Supervises and maintains a high performing and motivated facility-based leadership team responsible for managing the following school functions: Instruction, Special Education, Academic Success Coaching, College and Career Readiness programming, and Office operations.
3. Leads, creates, and implements, in collaboration with the Lead Teacher, plans and schedules for all assessments (internal and external state mandated), and ensures organized data tracking and analysis is completed.
4. Manages, in collaboration with the Executive Director, student recruitment and enrollment processes and cycles, that take place every 8-week term. Understands the impact of enrollment and focuses on creating strong pipelines for student retention through intentional strategies.
5. Leads with a data driven mindset and is responsible for directing the development of high quality internal and external data performance reports that address school performance. Creates a data analysis culture that focuses on gap analysis and innovative solutions.
6. Directs the implementation of high quality and appropriate performance evaluations for
all staff at the facility. Directly evaluates and provides coaching to site-based leadership team.
7. Develops clear and concise strategies, goals, and objectives for the school, in line with key gaps and needs, manages and monitors the implementation of them on an ongoing basis and communicates status of achievement to all relevant stakeholders in a timely fashion.
8. Provides oversight of policy and procedures implementation related to daily school activities and ensures all policies are followed and adhered to by all staff.
9. Provides quality assurance oversight to all programming at the facility to ensure compliance with the DC Public Charter School Board, OSSE, and any other requirements set forth by funders of the school.
10. Directs the planning and implementation of a professional development plan for staff and ensures timely and effective schedules for both formal and on-the-job training are developed to enhance the skill base of the school.
11. Implements and evaluates new partnerships to support the school in response to the changing needs concerning students, test results and/or Washington DC Academic Standards.
12. Leads with a student first mindset and a focus on creating a positive school culture for all students, staff, and community members.
13. Represents the school, as appropriate, in community planning and school leader meetings with external organizations.
14. Works with both the site-based leadership and the senior leadership team to ensure
appropriate, safe, and secure building management coverage for the Excel Center’s hours of operation.
15. Oversees and manages the selected vendor for the child development center.
16. Presents solutions to identified gaps in the school and term data to the Executive
Director and senior leadership team.
17. Works directly with the Executive Director to manage fiscal accountability for the school, targets for key school metrics, and other critical processes and timelines with external agencies
18. Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position supervises a school with a staff of about 25 or more individuals and directly supervises a site-based leadership team of about 6 individuals.
1. Bachelor’s degree in relevant field and 5+ years in a school-related leadership role.
2. Proven track record and experience developing, coaching, and managing direct reports that include teachers and other school staff and building high performing teams.
3. Proven track record in meeting and/or exceeding goals and persevering to achieve desired results.
4. Strong at assigning and directing work to staff and effective at measuring the results.
5. Knowledge of the processes needed to effectively manage a school from all key areas: Instruction, Special Education, Academic Success Coaching, College and Career Readiness, Operations, Data Performance, and Enrollment. Has the ability to develop and communicate processes in efficient work flows and understands how the key areas of a school connect and support each other.
6. Strong working knowledge and experience of curriculum and instruction. Has the ability to evaluate instructional programming and teaching effectiveness.
7. Strong communicator at a variety of levels. Demonstrates effective written and verbal presentation skills to a wide variety of audiences.
8. Excellent planning and organizing skills; extremely careful attention to detail and follow-through.
9. Knowledge and familiarity with human resources and hiring practices and local labor market conditions.
10. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to analyze data for informed decision making and both create and implement course corrections that align to the school’s needs and stay in tune with the school’s philosophy.
11. Proven understanding of the student demographic served at the Goodwill Excel Center and understands the holistic student approach.
12. Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to interact with all levels of management, staff and students and participates effectively as a team player in internal and external projects.
13. Intermediate computer skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; knowledge of student information systems; advanced knowledge to use the Internet to perform searches and obtain information.
14. Ability to and thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously, as well as take direction as needed.
1. Washington DC School Administrator’s License
2. Master’s Degree in relevant field
3. Bilingual or multilingual
Lifting 20 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/ carrying objects weighing up to10 pounds. Walking or standing to a significant degree, involves sitting most of the time with a degree of pushing and pulling.
General office environment infrequently exposed to extreme atmospheric conditions (temperature, noise, fumes, dust, etc.)
- Pay Type Salary
- 1776 G St. NW, Washington, DC 20006, USA